MOTOVATION

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Island Lawn, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I read on the "porking up" thread a couple of people mention a lack of motovation setting in over the slow season.
    I took relief in realizing that I was not alone.

My question is, What do you do about it?

Once I get out the door, I'm good.
    So that's the step I have to put extra effort into.
    It used to be,
    "Well I've got work to do so I gotta go!"
    Now it's more like,
    "I can do that later, I've got a lot of "paperwork and research" (LS) to do!"

I think I may be evolving into a sloth/human mutant.
    My appearance and living habits seem to be the first to go. Although I do feel mentally "affected"
    No real "urges" yet.
    I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, If any of you have any tips.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Uh oh. Starting to leave a slime trail!
    Please help!

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have found that by doing the searches I have and with talking to those of you out there to get ideas about the industry that I have found that i am getting exceptionally motivated to do various things this season.

Although I have not been able to physically perform landcsaping/lawn care or install hardscapes that I have been going thru the estimates of last year we didnt get and reviewing those we were awarded the bid for to see how we "actually" did.

There will always be room for improvement and I am constantly evolving on new ideas to make our company more productive and to increase the bottom line.

Thanks again to you guys/n/gals out here in lawnsite.

Kris

3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Island, I think we all deal with the "motivation" problem. During the season it's no problem because we have more work than we can handle and there is no other option but to work. When winter sets in you have to switch gears and that can be hard. Being that you're down in SC you should have an early start time. I usually get going around the last week of March. How about you? One thing I do to keep busy during winter is to give estimates on all my side work (hardscapes, planting, etc.) during the season and schedule them for the winter months instead of just saying "call a landscaper." I'm looking for ideas as well. Lately I've been toying w/ the idea of buying a log splitter and selling fire wood.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As I said before guys, it's time to start spring training! Time to get stretched out, the blood circulating, and in shape! Once you start helping the circulation, you'll feel alot better because you will have much more energy- you'll be able to move with much less effort. This is not to mention that you'll be able to perform much better once you get out there in the field. This also attributes to much less chance of injury. Pull something in your back, THEN see how motivated you feel! I approach this line of work like a sport, and I go at it full bore. People often ask where do I get all my energy, and I just tell them I'm "solar powered." Now don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly a spring chicken, but neither are some of these professional baseball players out there.

5. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

We should get a morning stretchin and exercise class going here at LawnSite! Maybe Eric and Chuck can lead us into some aerobic activities thru the Web site. I'll take any class that starts after 11am eastern time!

Chris

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

THATS WHAT I CALL THE AMOUNT I HAVE TO MAKE
    TO GET BY.MOTGAGE ,LAND ETC

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I was ok my first two years in business but this winter has been EXTREMELY dry. I have to keep starting my equipment to remember what they sound like. LOL Seriously, I would normally be cutting year round. I'm ready to go!

8. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

This has been a slow winter for me as well. It was 50 the other day and I went out and started everything mowers, trimmers, clippers, etc. Even trimmed some weeds down around the pond, sure did feel good. I'm getting ready for spring and going to start doing some odds and ends for my customers beginning next week if the weather is warm enough.