1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Motrocycle Oil for Honda Lawnmower?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jumpball, Jun 16, 2012.

1. jumpball

jumpball LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Can I use the Honda Motorcycle Oil SAE 10W-40 SJ for my honda lawnmower?
    My manual says 10w-30?
  2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Use what the owners manual calls for only, it's called following instructions.
    easy-lift guy
  3. jumpball

jumpball LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Maybe I should give you the background before you throw me under the bus.
    I went to a Honda motorcycle dealership that also sells Honda lawnmowers. I ask him for the recommended oil and the parts guy told me this what I should use. I even went to service dept where they sell the lawnmowers and he said yes that's the right oil. I question it saying motorcycle oil, they said its ok.
    When I got home , I checked the manual and the reason for my question before I return it and go some where else to get the 10 w 30.
    Posted via Mobile Device

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

That's good oil. !0w 40 is starting to get on the heavy side. But is it's hot and you're running long hours 10w 40 would be fine. I'm sure they have 10w 30 Motorcycle Oil. Exchange it for 10w 30.
  5. ksJoe

ksJoe LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it being motorcycle oil. Mostly that just means it cost more :)

But I would worry about putting a heavier oil it since you're up north. I might be tempted to use 10w40 in Texas, or 5w20 in Canada.
  6. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I have owned many Honda mowers over the years, I have only used the oil type according to the owners manual. Now pick yourself up off the ground, regain your composure and use what ever oil you want. I will stick with what the owners manual
    says to use, especially if it is a new mower or engine.
    easy-lift guy
  7. jumpball

jumpball LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Just strange a Motorcycle Honda dealership that sells and services Honda Lawnmowers recommended the 10w40.
    Oh well, I am going to return the oil and get the correct 10w30.
    Thx all for the comments.
  8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think motorcycle oil has a different additive package indended for the wet clutches in the combination crankcase transmission case. I have never had a motorcycle so am going on what I have heard and read. The motorcycle oil should not be as slick as regular motor oil based on this logic so I think I would use regular motor oil of the correct weight.

My Kawasaki engines recommend different weight range for different ambient temperature ranges.
  9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You can't run automotive type oil in motorcycles because of the clutch issues. It is specially formulated to run at higher temps and rpm's so it is fine for mowers. As for the weight you will be fine. The difference between 10w30 and 10w40 is negligible. They both pour cold at 10w which is most crucial to minimizing engine wear. Straight weights should be avoided for this reason. :usflag:
  10. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I use This I am still breaking in my engine with non synthetic, but I will be switching over to Amsoil small engine next oil change.