1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

mounds of dirt??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by matcom, Oct 13, 2000.

1. matcom

matcom LawnSite Member

I have a well established lawn and live in Massachusetts. Recently, I have noticed hundreds of little 'mounds' of dirt that seem to have pushed up or 'been' pushed up. They seem too small for rodents but don't know. The dirt is 'lumpy' (like its been worked by something. We have had a slight frost but nothing severe and the grass is still growing (mid October). I noticed these last year as well. I also noticed a HUGE swarm of flying ants last week that seemed to be eating the grass blades. I killed them with flying ant spray. I don't know if its related.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sounds like Ants to me. Get a local pest comapny to drop by for a free estimate and see.

Ray

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If the mounds are small lumps of "dirt", like pellets, you are just seeing worm castings. Nothing to worry about. Around us the worms have been especially active on the surface this year.

4. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

COULD BE BIRDS AND CHIPMUNKS LOOKING FOR INSECTS IN YOUR TURF. POSSIBLY RACCOONS ALSO.