Mounted fert. Spreader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdjoe_97, Mar 13, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

Hello all. I am looking for a better way to apply my granular fertilzer. I currently use a Agri-Fab 125lb broadcast pull type spreader and a JD 455. I have been keeping my eyes out for a nice spreader that I can mount either to the rear of the JD 455 or a smaller rider, or even find a way to work a 4 wheeler into it. Problem is I find quite a few spreaders that would do the job, but none that are precalibrated, or have a very good gate control system. I don't want to do that guess type of spreading any more!! Any that you know of that are very accurate and affordable. No push spreaders for this guy, call me lazy fine. Thanks Joe
  2. 2 things-
    first any kind of spreader you get you will have to calibrate. one brand will spread evenly in front, another will be heavy on one side and lighter on another, this will dictate what paterns you use for distribution. i mean if you are pulling it with a lawn tractor then all you should really have to do is calibrate it for the amount you want to spread and then just leave it at that speed.

2nd- i remember seeing in a catalog i may still have upstairs this large spreader that holds something like 500 lbs of fertilizer or lime or whatever. the thing looks like a big V box that you would put on the back of a truck, but it is poly and is a trailer type thing that you pull with a tractor. i am sure that a 16+ hp garden tractor could do this no problem.. it is driven by the wheels. the faster you go the more the fert you put out. but if you are doing a large amount of wide open fertilizer applications this may be the way to go. i will go look tomorow to find the name of the company. it shouldnt cost more than i think 2k
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I agree on the calibration part. It depends on what you are spreading. I know you would have trouble spreading fines right after throwing course if you didnt recalibrate. It would be great if there was some type of spreader that did this automatically but I don't see how thats possible.