mounted spreaders?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PaulJ, Apr 25, 2005.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

After searching I still have some questions.

I am looking for info and pricing on a mounted electric driven fertilizer spreader. I want to mount it on a walkbehind mower with a sulky.

I was set to get a lesco but they stopped making/selling them. I still might try to get a last one from a dealer.
    But now I am hearing some problems with them. The non adjustable spread width and impeller speed and the motors not lasting and being expensive to replace.

I wold like to have something that spreads similar to my lesco walkbehind and I thought the truckster spreader would be but maybe not. Some have said it spreads too far.

What other options are there for mounted spreaders?
    I have seed the jrco but It's about double what I want to spend.
    the spreader 4 mower is almost as much as the jrco

I read on hear about the pro lawn and the spyker but I don't know what the prices for these are.

I even thought about trying a agrifab or maybe an earthway?
    anyone know what happened to SNG?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Spyker makes a couple. I have one and like it. They have improved them since I bought mine. It will run about 700.00. You can adjust impeller spend and the spread pattern.

3. PaulJ

Thanks I am going to call them today for some info.
    I am hoping to find something closer to the lesco's $350 price though.

4. PaulJ

Has anyone elseused any spreaders mounted on yuor mower? What brands and how do you like them?
    I did some calling and got prices form a few diferent brands ranging from $800 to $1400 ouch!
    I have heard that lesco is coming out with an improved spreader but no details yet.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

5. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JRCO. Expensive, but seems to be well built. Best part is the motor and the electronic gizmo which modulates the speed without reducing the voltage like a rheostat.

6. SHERRILLFDLS

SHERRILLFDLS LawnSite Member

Just bought a lesco truckster spreader yesterday from the store in Cornelius NC. Now I need to get a piece fabricated so I can mount it to my gravely 160Z. Just wondering if it will throw fertilize back on to the mower. Do I need to put a piece a of sheet metal behind it, inorder to keep the fertilize off the mower.

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

We ran the trucksters out back on the old explorer II models(with the utility bed-good for holding about 200 lbs between truck trips) with double curb guards and an eyelet for the rope handle next to the operator and an on/off switch under the thumb on the steering levers. 12-15 foot wide throws on most coated prill sizes, beautiful distribution acrss the arc with the three hole setup dropping at different points on the impeller. Fully cailbrated for dialing in perfect poundage rates at speed and material...couldn't be beat for properties in the 1-15 acre range. Heck, we even used them in the winters with the RAD setups on those machines to throw salt and icemelt. The motor problem was solved by sealing the housing with rtv on the joints, keeping water and dust out and rust from forming. Years and years of dependable service on all of those simple little spreaders. I will say we also had some single opening, larger models from other manufacturers that were capable of blasting down salt and icemelt with deflectors added, but I would have NEVER used them for fert with their throw patterns. LArger props, well you cannot beat a vicon spreader mounted on your favorite turf utility.

8. PaulJ

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that the motor problems can be prevented. Have you had any trouble with the rope shut off? The new models of the lesco spreader have a cable shut off, but I think that's the only change. If the rope works good, I am thinking that might be better for the way I want to mount it. Is the pattern and calibration of the trucksters the same as Lesco's push spreaders?
    thanks again

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lesco truckster mounted to one of my walkbehinds and it's OK. The thing I hate the most about it is the cheap little gizmo they came up with to open and shut the gate (has to be the cheapest thing I've ever seen). I'm going to replace it with a 12v solenoid. The other thing is that it throws quite a bit back on the mower and it builds up over time, then if you stop suddenly the stuff that is thrown on the mower slides off the front and then you have a big problem(burnt lawn). It does throw a wide pattern (12' - 15') but it seems to be a pretty consistent pattern. It does take a bit to calibrate. I use a tinytach on the mower and set the engine speed at about 3000rpm and run the hydros wide open with the gate about 3/4 open. I know that with these settings I get the proper coverage with 1/2 overlap. If you are only planning on using it occasionally (as I do) it will do ok but if you want to use it often I would get a ride on spreader.