1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mounthing Trimmer Traps above wheels on tandem axle trailers....any problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Mar 3, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The subject heading pretty much sums my question up. I have spoke with a guy that says, "no, they will take too much of a beating", then another guys says that he has had no problems with mounting them above the wheels. I would not consider it using a single axle trailer, but not suer with a tandem axle.

Anyone with experience please reply.
    FYI, I have a side gate mounted on passenger side of trailer. Currently have traps mounted at the head of the trailer, but I want to mount a cage at the head of trailer. I would really prefer the trimmer traps mounted on the passenger side.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What You Should do Is try It. It Won't take Long then drive around a little. I Have Had A set Of Gridiron Over the single Axel trailer With No Problems So Far. I Also Had at one Time a set Of wak Rack's On the side of the Pickup. It Seemed To work very well. They where easy to remove.

John. :angel:
  3. deason

deason LawnSite Member

The further back on the trailer something rides, the rougher the ride. Mount it as far forward of the axle as you can.

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

I mounted mine on the very front of my 18'. on the side, have not had any problems. as posted above they do not bounce around as much as they would over the wells or towards the back.
  5. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I just had a 2x2x6 expanded metal box mounted to my trailer at the front. It sits on the rails of the trailer(1 foot off trailer floor). My Trimmertrap will be here Friday and I plan on mounting it behind my box to the box. The trimmers will run the same direction w/ the box. This way I can tarp the box and trimmers w/ one small tarp. I havent mounted it yet but dont see that it would cause any problems.
  6. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Forgot to say that my box opens towards the truck. The Trimmertrap will be mounted facing the back of the trailer. Ill post a pic when I get it Friday if you want me to.
  7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats where mine are. No problems.

8. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a single axle trailer and it has a cage on the front. I had no choice but to mount my Trimmer Trap X 3 over the wheel. I have had no problems and when I watch them in the mirror there is very little shaking or bouncing. I have had no repairs related to this so I think it will be OK.
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Curry, I would like to see some pics. I think I know what you are saying though.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't really think it would be all that bad mounting above the wheels, but just needed some feedback on the subject.

10. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I don't want to jinx myself, but I never had a problem. Mine obviously mounted over the wheels..