mounting an oil gauge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oneEXMARKfan, Mar 10, 2001.

1. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Need to mount my favorite Stewart Warner oil pressure gauge today, and want to have it in the metal part by the key switch. Any good ideas of what to use to cut a circle out in metal?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

There are two ways that I know of. They make a metal circle hole saw, which is a tool that goes in a drill to cut a hole in metal. There is also another tool that you can use after drilling a small hole, put this on each side of the hole with a bolt from this tool through the hole. You then tighten up the bolt and it cuts the hole by tightening up this bolt. I'm not sure what it is called, but it is a lot more expensive.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A $10 hole saw made for wood will do the job once. Home Depot or your local harware store will have one.

4. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Once is all I need..he he he.Thanks ya'll!

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Eric-ithe toll you are talking about is or is similar to an electrical hole cutter or cutting in holes in panels,and metal electrical boxes.Id buy a good hole saw-they are 20 bucks-I have used mine for a lot more than i thought would,Id rather have 20 dollar tool that paid for itself-than a 10 dollar piece in the trash-.

6. jimsny

jimsny LawnSite Member

I Bought a black & Decker hole saw that you put on a drill to put a dead bolt in a steel door at my my first house. I have used it again at my second house and for many other things. My rule of thumb is if I need to borrow a tool 3 times I get one myself. The hole saw was a good investment for me. Get a decent one.

7. Eric ELM

That is exactly what I'm talking about. I used to work part time for an electrician until he was killed in an auto accident. I have a couple of the smaller sizes, but one big enough for a guage would be an expensive one time tool. They sure make a nice hole in metal though.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Dont bother with a gauge. You or your help will not get any work done eyeballing a needle on a dial while avoilding the rose bushes.

Get a red indicator light (the ones on the older JD WBs are perfect, 1/2 inch hole and bright) and wire it up to a pressure switch on the plugged port near the filter. Simple and effective, the lamp will illuminate if pressure drops below 3-5 lbs.

9. Eric ELM

Even though I have guages which are located in plain view, I still like the siren best. When you are mowing, you don't have time to look at them while mowing except when turning, I do glance at them. I would put on a low oil presure and high heat (if applicable) siren or horn before I would put on a oil guage. Both would be good too. ;)

10. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Excellent point Eric. Never thought about a siren.