Mounting Boss plows on older trucks

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by iowastorm, Oct 8, 2000.

1. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm getting ready to buy a couple of 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks all late 1980's Chevy and Ford trucks. Anyone had any problems mounting Boss V's on these 'older' trucks? Not really concerned about plow performance, but am more concerned about the mounting bracket and quality of the framework in the 'older' trucks.
  2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

The older trucks shouldn't be any problem. You might have to re-engineer the mounting somewhat if you cannot locate any stock frames. And, I'd be careful mounting Vee's on anything with coil springs in front.

Your local Boss dealer should be able to tell you right away if the frames are available - or maybe someone on the forum will know more about this.

We usually don't worry too much about factory frames on older trucks as we have cutting torches and welders available to 'engineer' anything necessary.
  3. iowastorm

from Iowa

I didn't figure it would be any big deal, but was just curious if anyone had any problems. The installs went fine on the newer trucks.
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume you're buying a NEW Boss (RTIII)?

1988 and newer Chevrolet has the stock proper mounting kit.
    1987 and older (As well as C&C's until '90) will need custom fabrication.

5. iowastorm

from Iowa

Yeah, 2 of the trucks I'm looking at are an '85 Chevy 1 ton dually and the other is a 87 Ford 1/2 ton. Might have to remove the bumpers and do some surgery. Yes the Boss plows are new. Guess I could go w/ a 'Boss wannabe'(western or hinker v's), but the mounting will probably be the same.
  6. snow

snow Guest

boss, fisher, western are all good plows. <b>BUT</b> john parker has a hiniker v-plow, and hiniker plows get dented up a lot and they lack customer service. stay away from them if possible.the fishers and westerns are bottom trip while the boss is a full trip.

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

If you mount NEW Boss plows on those older trucks, you LEAVE the bumpers ON. You'll need a buy/built the driver side/passenger side brackets and weld the height-adjuster plates on the inside.

Older trucks had narrower frames, so you need to trim the main truck mounting plate to accomodate frame width.

All in all it's not a big deal, I've done it - just a heads up on what parts/adjustments you'll need to make.
  8. iowastorm

from Iowa

Lazer; thanks for the info. The reason I brought up the bumper thing is that I saw a used truck and plow the other day with a shoddy custom install job. They ripped off the front bumper and did some rip and tear here and there too. Looked like crap. Looking forward to some customize rigging; it'll give me an excuse to drink some beer.
  9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

You should be able to buy snow plow mounting brackets right from the manufacturer for the trucks you listed.
    I know western makes a uni mount for those years, I believe boss does also.
    Be carefull with home made mounts, I have seen many fall off the first storm.Also the factory units are designed for break away in a front end collision.
    The 87 ford has the same basic frame as the 97 heavy duty series ford, so sub frames should be available with not many mods.
    Make sure that 150 has the 3800# front axel, the TIB front suspension is serious weak point on those trucks. I would think 2x before mounting a v plow on that truck.
  10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I can remember, back when the F 150 used to be the big truck on the fleet. I think we used to run an 82 F 150 with an 8' fisher. You just have to get used to the fact that after 88 or so you really couldn't use a 1/2 ton like you could in the early 80s.