1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mounting fire extinquisher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BOTURF, Dec 24, 2003.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a fire extinquisher mounted to there ztr, was wanting to mount one to the tiger cub and cant find a good place to do it .You never know when you might need one and you almost are always to far away from the truck . I carry 2 on board the truck now but thought one mounted to mower would be nice
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Probably not near the engine. Maybe somewhere on the deck where you won't hit it with your foot or where it might "bump" into something. How about sliding it inside a piece of PVC tubing to protect it. I've got one on my trailer on the opposite side of the fuel cans. post # 3400
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Here's mine on my w/b. Cheap insurance.

scan044, october 03, 2003.jpg
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Insurance, that way you keep a new machine around, Just not more than 1 claim a yr. LOL Go to a marina and buy one of there carriers they work really good.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Are those barbell weights on your mower deck? I do something similar with all our WB's as well.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Rod, yes they are two 10 pounders- mainly only use on my yard (very hilly) or on one or two customer’s yards that are steeper. They just slip right over the deck height pins and stay on just fine. Works great with the sulky on hills (front stays down) only drawback is you cannot pop the front of the mower up with the handlebars as easily (can be done, just more tiring). would like two 6 or 7 pounders instead.
  7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Here's mine..... actually stays cool there because the intake for cooling air is below it...... I checked EVERY other possible mounting location first..... this one involved no drilling on the mower..... just bent a piece of aluminum, and mounted it to factory bolts... mounted the extinguisher mount to that...... oh, and polished it!

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

good ideas guys. never thought about mounting one on the mahcine itself...rather just keeping one in the truck since machines are never far from the truck in the event of an emergency.

somthing to think about though. THANKS!
  9. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

We've got extinguishers mounted on all 4 of our Dixie Choppers and on both of our Steiners. The only machine that doesn't have on is my Hustler shortcut. Don't ask me why, but I guess I just haven't got it done yet. That'll be the machine that catches fire first you can bet on that...................Lynn