1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

move forward or continue on the path???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by yardtamer, Feb 23, 2008.

1. yardtamer

yardtamer LawnSite Member

My question is.. I work for a guy who is stuggling to pay me...I use my own truck to help him because his broke down a year ago.. and he has yet to replace it .. he pays me $10.00 a day plus gas for its use.. i run the crew while he plays boss .... i think he has lost the drive to work and move foward..do I move forward without him? i have many of my own clients and all my own equipment.. and of course I'm insured....anyone have any thoughts...i almost feel bad about leaving..
  2. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like he should be working for you.
  3. Ocelot

Ocelot LawnSite Member

Sometimes you have to do what needs to be done. Just be tactful and humble and explain things in a way that will allow him to see things as you do trying not to anger him... even though it will hurt him to hear the truth about what must be done and although it may be awkward for you to handle a situation like this if he doesnt contribute to "THE BUSINESS" then what choice do you have?

Definition of Business: - In economics, business is the social science of managing people to organize and maintain collective productivity toward accomplishing particular creative and productive goals, usually to generate profit.

You said yourself he seems to have lost the drive, after talking to him in this way about the situation some of his previous desire should return, but if not... we are all men and at the end of the day the line has to be drawn somewhere because ultimatly this is our livelyhood. Not only are we involved, but so are our family's and so with that being said sometimes you just gotta do what must be done, bottom line.
  4. yardtamer

yardtamer LawnSite Member

I thought that i was on the right track.. moving on ... the talks do not work with him... he wants to manage .. not work... thanks for your thoughts
  5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

he's not much of a manager OR a boss OR an owner if he can't pay, and borrows YOUR truck. Sad, but, your boss is dead weight for you....

really surprised ya lasted this long, but then again, why should he be motivated if YOU'RE doing all the work..... smarten up bro.... go out on your own.
  6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you already know the answer.
  7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, time to move on. You are supplying him with all the equipment and work and he is reaping the rewards. You might want to go ahead and let his/your clients know that you will not be working for him and going out on your own.
    Usually i would be against saying anything to the clients but in this situation i feel they are more yours then your so called bosses.
    I mean when your gone there will be no one left to take care of these lawns and you ex-boss will not have the means to do it. Just let them know if they need you to give you a call.
    No use in just leaving and having these customers go elsewhere.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

run like hell and don't even bother to look back
  9. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I agree w/ everyone here....

but Rodfather says it best:walking: