Move from WB's to ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by f50lvr2, Feb 10, 2010.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I am guessing you are NOT putting 60" ZTR's on 2.5m lawns?

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I have put it on lawns that are as small as 1500 sq ft. But I don't have very many of those. Also I mulch so I'm not shooting grass everywhere when on small lawns. Like I said if they don't want to pay extra for using a walk behind I use my smallest ztr 60". I now have a $35 minimum so that eliminates all those 15 to $20 lawns I did many years ago starting out that were that small..

But for people starting out I think a stand on mower would be great, we didn't have those options around here when I started in 1991. So do what works best for you and as you grow your business you buy equipment to make you more profitable.

3. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own a Z.I get a lot of yards because i don't use a Z.I am not opposed to them though.If I picked up some large multi acre sprawling estate,I would get a Turf Tiger.I love the Wildcats and Turf Tigers but I just have no use for them at the moment.If I bought one now and started using it on my current customer's lawns,I would lose all but one of them.

I also use the Pro One sulky and i like the quick disconnect pin.I walk a lot on hills and small yards.

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

never been asked and have never lost a client because i use a z. :confused:

5. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

people here raise holy hell about it all the time.Go figure.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

When I bought my first Z I had several make comments that it was to big a machine. I told them as nicely as possible that my prices would be going up if I had to use the smaller machines. Now 18 yrs later I still have those lawns that complained because I used a 42"Walker saying it is to big, only now I use either a 60" or 66" ztr. Keep in mind using 1 21" walkbehind would take 1hr 15min minutes to mow an bag a $30 lawn 18 yrs ago, almost 1 1/2 hrs with trimming an blowing. Now it takes 30 minutes to mow trim and blow with the 60" and it pays $35

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  7. openbook

openbook LawnSite Member

I don't own either but I like the look of the cut from a ztr alot better than a walk behind. With a z the turf looks smooth as a carpet. On walk behinds they leave lines from the tires and the little roller wheels.
    Nobody ever complains about lines from a wb though, I can just tell the difference and to me the z's look 10x better.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

a ztr would only really save me time on a few of my biggest lawns. thats why im still using my WB

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

wrong. Your young and probably never operated one. Cuts time in half allowing you to double your client base.

10. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 48"15 HP walker and it was just a nightmare doing million dollar lawns. I was very embarrassed. I had half the money for a new rider and a customer spent the other half. Very nice guy. When he saw the cis on my wrist he wanted to help. I got a 2008 left over Rider with the 27 Kohler 52" fast and light weight. Night and day. Cut each lawn 10- 20 faster! My knees are better but my back hurts from sitting on the mower so long. That walker made my 25 year old body age like a 50 year old.