Move from WB's to ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by f50lvr2, Feb 10, 2010.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Just so you know when most of us are talking about ZTR's we are talking about 52" to 60" with suspension seats and a ride much better than the one you got. Also you have to grow your business towards lawns that are more wide open. I don't blow clippings into beds, I generally mulch and with the right combo of water and fertilizer the lawns look great. If someone has an area they want bagged I have a 60" with a bagger that I can use but rarely need too. I carry 3 large ztrs and a 21" for tight spots, small gates on my trailer. That way I can mulch bag or side discharge with 3 different setups. I don't bid lawns with gates that would keep my ztr's out, I don't want them. I'm getting older and find this works best for me. But for comparisons I don't think you would see any benefit of using a 48"ztr compared to the walkbehinds you mentioned. ZTR's need to be 52" to be worth it. You get more trimside, and in general wider tires to support the weight.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

operator error. Just because you can zero turn it doesnt mean you should in every situation.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Again, different areas present different situations. "... wide open..." are only so many properties. One has to work the properties that are available. If I could make my own, I would make them smaller to use my 21" hand mower exclusively, ... best profit. But, I am not able to remake the properties.

60" ZTRs may work in other parts of the country, but, here, they are just not part of the fleets here. Yes, I realize a larger machine would ride better, but my objective is not to have a pleasant ride, rather to get the task done in the best possible way.

Also, in this area, I know of nobody with a ZTR that is mulching. That just does not work here. Either clippings are bagged, or discharged. I bought a mulching kit for my w/b several years ago, hoping to eliminate the problem if discharging clippings into beds and mulched tree circles. It just did not work. There are too many wet clippings when the growth is heavy. Clippings turn to mush because of heavy moisture content. Quality of cut is not acceptable either. I use the mulching feature on my hand mower in some areas, but usually bagging is used more often.

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

speak for yourself.......

ztr stand for zero turn radius. that covers walkbehinds, standers and sit downs.

when i see the letters ztr only i wonder are they talking about a walkbehind, a stander or a sit down.

get with it dude. even if you use ztr to mean sit down you can have anything from a 34" deck all the way to 72".

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

he is talking about generaly speaking. Who needs to get with it?

6. MJB

from Wa

Sorry Yardguy ! I been running ZTR's since before you could even spell it. I thought we were comparing 60"ztrs against the small walkbehinds etc. I was merely pointing out a 48" ztr is hardly comparible to a 60" ride wise, and cut wise in my opinion.

So I'll see if I can get with next time and spell it out so you can understand as well. Go drink some warm milk or something to calm you down.:dizzy:

7. MJB

from Wa

Hey Roger I feel for ya! That just shows how different conditions are even though we probably cut the same northern grasses I'm in a dryer climate which allows me to have more options. :waving:

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

generaly speaking then.......ztr stands for zero turn radius.....that covers walkbehinds, standers and riders.

and your point would be what? if i wanna state what ztr means and that walkbehinds, standers and rider are ALL ztr's then i will.......

i've been through 2 ztr's but i've never owned a rider :cool2:

9. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I really laugh when people say that a deck is true float on anything that is zero turn radius. The deck would have to ride on the ground. simplicity is the only on I know that does this on there riding tractors. They have a rollers that go all the way along the back of the deck. When you adjust the deck ride height, it adjusts the rollers. Then you can just pick the mower up off the ground with the electric lift.

I know a guy who mows a meat place with one of these. The lawn looks just like this when he is done. This is all stock.

n_legacy_lawn_stripes.jpg

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

the deck looks like this. This is a old one.

36_deck_pg4.jpg