move my company or work for another one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swing blade, Jul 22, 2001.

1. swing blade

swing blade LawnSite Member

I will be moving out to oklahoma to be closer to my parents sometime in the late spring of 2002. My actual location will be near edmond in oklahoma city. I would like to know what business is like out there. I have not decided as to wether or not to move the company, or to just hire on with some existing company in oklahoma city. I mainly cut grass and mulch gardens, but I also have some expierience with retaining walls, patios, and garden renovations.

thanks for the help.
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Your 17, how big is your company? I would say you could move it.
  3. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

swing blade,
    I'm from broken arrow, which is right next to tulsa, about 100 miles from oklahoma city. The market is extremely crowded, however most of the work is of low quality. People going for production only. This is my first year full time and I am growing fairly quickly. More people are seeing I go for quality not quantity and I am picking up more customers because of it. The oklahoma city area is growing, so you should have quite a few potential customers looking for a lawn service and installations. I say start new and advertise early next year.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You already know how much you can make as a company owner and how many hours you worked to make it. If you work for someone else, will you be make as much? Have you worked for someone else before? It isn't easy to work for someone else after owning our own business.

If the work is there, I would load up my machines and head down there in about February and start advertising BIG time. For now, have your parents send you the yellow pages for this area and check to see how many LCO's are there. It might give you an idea how many there are down there and compare that to what's in the yellow pages in your area. Compare Populations where you are and there, to see how many LCO's per 1000 in each area to figure out if they are swarming down there like most places. I hope this didn't confuse you too much and I hope it helps. :)

Let us know how this turns out for you. ;)