Moving 9 tons of dirt...by shovel?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Shpigford, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Shpigford

Shpigford LawnSite Member

So I'm putting in a paver patio that is ~500 sq/ft. I'm planning on doing 4 inches of roadbase and so 4 inches of roadbase for ~500 sq/ft adds up to ~9 tons of needed roadbase.

The way my yard is situated, there's really no way for the truck to bring all of that dirt and dump it right beside the patio. The best I could do is have it dumped 40-50 feet away.

So, am I completely out of my mind (and body) to think that I might could move and lay 9 tons of dirt with just a wheelbarrow and shovel? I honestly am having a hard time imagining how much dirt that really is so I'm wondering if it's an impossible feat.

Obviously the other option is to rent a skid steer for a few days but I risk seriously tearing up my yard (though that might be worth it for the saved energy/muscle/time).

Thoughts? What would you do?

2. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Dirt? Do you mean the gravel?
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather fix the yard later than move 9 tons of anything with a wheelbarrow.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I once told my 2 18 yo employees that I would pay them for the day...no matter what time they finished. They moved 16 tons of stone in 2 wheel barrows by like 2:00.

4. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like its only 4-5 cubic yards...not too bad with a wheelbarrow...if you are feeling lazy just rent a dingo or Md-52 (any sort of walk behind skid steer will do). Will probably run you $90 or so for 4 hours which will be plenty of time and it wont damage the lawn.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

when your the go to guy for hardscape, this arises all the time, jobs that are inappropriate for a skid or dingo or truck travel is limited due to weight limits of septic systems or sensitive landscape. Hello wheel barrow and shovel...
    it sucks but that is taken care of in the slip of paper that you hand the customer that says amount due. material staging is factored early in the est.

6. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot LawnSite Member
    from nj

where theres a will theres a way. I just finished a job that involved moving 35,000 lbs of mini creta by wheelbarrow from the street. my back hurts. lol

7. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper LawnSite Member

You can handle this, It's time for you to man-up, pull up those boot straps and hire yourself some spot labor. Obviously you didn't completely think this threw ahead of time otherwise you wouldn't be on here knowing what options you have now. Then wanting us to make the decision for you????? Next time hire a professional that not only knows you do not, I repeat. Do not use "dirt" for a paver patio base, but also knows how to stage the job site.

8. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

Well obviously. Go rent the machinery, yards are easy to fix...

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

grow a set and move it. myself and two other workers moved 48 tons of sand down the steepest mother effer of a hill i have ever seen. all in one day. made big $$ though

10. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

At least you weren't moving the sand up the hill :laugh:.