1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Moving a Holly

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by crazygator, Aug 22, 2001.

1. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend who has 2 Holly's approximately 7' tall. He wants to move them from the front of house to the side. I do not do landscaping and was wondering if this was a possibility? If it is how much will I need to dig around them, depth and width. Any other things to consider for a good transplant? I thank all who can help with this question.
  2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Working in nursery setting for three years i can help some.First i would ask how old they are, If they are real old you might have some troubles.You will need a good spade shovel (all steel),round shovel and a cart to transport with.Without seeing the plant go out at least 2 -3 feet from base of plant, dig down and around with round shovel about 6 to 12 inches, then go in with the spade all around. Once you go all around try to work it with the spade and try to pop it up with the spade .Try to get a good root ball if at possible.Remember fall is the best time to transplant,and also water when you plant it.I'm not sure if hollies have tap roots or not i don't think so. Good luckl
  3. BeerBefore12

BeerBefore12 LawnSite Member

holly's ,along with laurels and Rhodadendrons , are some of the most persnickety trees in the book to TRANSplant. Its always related to subtle changes in soil types during the big move and indicative of PH balences in the new soil from the old. I've only been able myself to get results in transplanting these types of that size by cheking the PH level with a little tester strip, maintaining it in the new area and actually carrying some of the same soil from the old to the new hole. when I even assumed that soil from one area of the yard to the next was the same I still had problems of browning leaves so I cover exclusively with the old dug up soil. these types of trees (transplanted) will need a 2 week care schedule of watering and a booster of MGro ever so lightly ( 1 capfull to 1-2 gallons milkjug) which always seemed to help.
  4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

If your talking American holly or similar large leaf holly, spring just before or very beginning of budbreak is the best time. They just keep on ticking if done right and timed right.

If their nice don't do them yourself but get an experienced digger to ball and drum lace them. Soil if similar in the new spot is the least of your worries.

It would also be helpful to root prune them this fall to prep them for the move. Ask your digger about this.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have refused on several occassions to transplant holly's. They have a very strong root system and they are a real bi$%h to dig up.
  6. BeerBefore12

BeerBefore12 LawnSite Member

But gee whiz harold, if I had to subcontract some other dude to dig up my trees and put a diaper on them I'd just move to new jersey and declare myself leader.