moving a tandem axle trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BigLag, Feb 19, 2008.

1. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

I'm going to have to upgrade from my 12 ft single axle to a 16 ft tandem. Right now, i can unhook my 12 ft with 2 ztr's and push it underneath my carport. my truck won't make the turn under the carport b/c my fence on the other side of the driveway is really close. anyone have any ideas on how to turn a 16 ft to get it under the carport. will a trailer dolly work?

2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah i doubt your gonna be able to do that, unless your 350lbs and bench press 400 lol.

I have a 1700lb 10k open trailer thats a utility trailer, double axle, with that weight with NOTHING on it, even on its roller jack wheel in the front, its barely moveable on a purely flat surface. forget turning it, just wont happen by hand.

I have lifted the front up with my bucket on the tractor and pushed it around wherever i need it, even with a zero turn on it, but at that its difficult. Your talking about moving 2-4k in weight around by hand.

You had to have hardly any tongue weight on your single axle to move it around while lifting it up right? :p:weightlifter:

3. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

sorry for posting this question...after thinking about the mechanics and what not...i know it just ain't gonna happen...thanks for your response ramair...im probably just gonna have to get an enclosed trailer so i can just leave it outside.

4. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you thought about using a manual or powered winch?

You might be able to mount one on the rear of your trailer and pull it back in there. Just need a wheel on your jack.

5. radgeezer

radgeezer LawnSite Member

I had a similar situtation about 35 or 40 years ago when I had to unload firewood next to a basement window behind the house.I fabbracated a frame hitch on the front of my truck and pushed it in.Kind of like using a fork lift.(rear wheel steering).
    Of course the trucks were a lit easier to work on then. Good Luck!!!By the way you have to re-hitch on back before going down the road.

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have an ATV, if so that will work nicely.

7. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

no..wish i did, but then might not ever get any work done...i found a guy locally who sells enclosed trailers for a couple grand less than the competetors...going to see it possibly tomorrow...i think thats my best bet, b/c then i wont have to turn it under the carport...i could just leave it in the driveway...thanks all.

8. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

they sell an electric powered dolly for this purpose, i forgot where i saw it though

9. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Can you put a ball on a Zero Turn rider and move it???

(I'd like to know too.)

10. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

If the surface is hard(ashpalt or concrete ) you can move a tandem axle trailer around with something called a go jack - http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/uni-5000.html
    expensive but they are made quite well and will last forever, and you only need one pair
    I have seen it done myself on a 16 ft open trailer loaded with two z's , can be pushed with one guy but two is easier . best of luck , oh and you can just send me the extra money you saved by not buying a new trailer !:drinkup: