Moving and leveling topsoil?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kc2006, Oct 9, 2007.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering what the easiest way to move and level topsoil is, in everyones opinion?

I'm bidding on an install job and it's going to need 35 yards of topsoil. I planned on renting either a skid steer or a mini skid (the walkbehind, mt52) with a utility blade and a landscape rake.

What would you guys use to move and level the soil though?

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

moving it how far?

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry I said it wrong, just spreading it and leveling it.

It's for a lawn install, going to be dropped in 5 yard piles and needs to be spread and finish graded. I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way of moving it around.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I use my two Steiners and a combination of blades and rakes that I built myself. Pics are on a thread here titled Steiner or search my user name. I only do a few lawns every year but they work well and the price is right. Usually I have an excavation company do the rough grade then I come in and level and seed. I also use my Ford 1520 compact tractor with loader and self built cultivator and leveler to move soil if needed. Did one last weekend around an acre.

5. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

I would like to know different methods for spreading as well. I take a bucket full dump it, angle the bucket and back spread it. After I get an area spread like this I run over in lightly with the Harley rake. How thick do you guys spread topsoil. Yards in my area range from 1/2 acre to 2. Couple contracors I saw doing a job only spread topsoil about an inch thick. I'd prefer 3-4 but that can get expensive real quick for th customer on the larger lots.

6. creeper

creeper LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Rent a small tractor with a box blade, drop piles at random intervals spread and level with box blade and hand rake to finish(optional).You can set the box blade at different heights.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I like that you do the cultivating as you spread it about. I am sick of coming onto new lawns with topsoil spread with a multi ton machine packing and pressing in all different levels ruts etc.
    Even if it looks smooth as glass you wouldn't be able to stick a handrake into the soil - yet this is the description of a seed bed for grass?!?!