Moving and now have a dilemma

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jequigle, May 15, 2013.

1. jequigle

jequigle LawnSite Member

I am moving unexpectedly and now in a dilemma. I do not want to just walk away from my customers I have for this season. I have a guy who works for me who had his own business from 91' to 05' and I was planning on keeping the business and let him do the day to day work.

I have a few issues now with this
    1. Payment some pay cash some pay check
    2. Picking up new customers and side jobs and me not knowing about it
    3. I have to buy a truck as I am not leaving mine here
    4. Banking, have checks sent to a PO Box here and deposits them or sent to me in another state and I deposit them.

I was thinking of making up a form with customer name, date, how long it took to mow, if they paid, paid cash or check or if i have to invoice them.

I have a really good relationship with all of my customers which I was planning on calling them once a month to make sure everything is ok.

What is your opinions??
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

how far are you moving?

considered selling the biz to him?
  3. jequigle

jequigle LawnSite Member

700 miles.. From SC back to upstate NY. I thought about selling the business but I know he doesn't have the money and I do not want to sell my equipment as I am taking it to NY with me. I plan on starting over up there next year.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Is the business worth the hassle? That's a lot of oversight from 700 miles away. It would be one thing if you had the truck/equipment to leave behind, as a test for the rest of the season, but the risk is having to effectively double down on equipment to do what may just be a "bridge the gap" until you can get up and running in NY.

One thing I notice a lot on here is people concerned their employees will be doing things off the books, behind their backs, using the equipment for side gigs, etc. If that's a concern, you're probably in for an anxiety-filled season when you should only have to be concerned with your customers being satisfied by what should be a good employee.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Liquidate the business......your moveing what else could possibly be said.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

X2. Not worth buying more equipment and not being there to run it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Where are you located in sc?
    Posted via Mobile Device