Moving Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Nov 30, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I get a lot of folks that call for service who are in the process of moving. They are going to move out of town, need someone to take care of the lawn until the house is sold. Work is work, that's fine with me. I've had a lot of them in the past few years as people relocate for work, etc. I've had real estate agents with the same thing call me for empty houses. Usually, there is no problem with getting paid, people cough up the dough right away. However, I've had a problem with a couple of people this year paying late. I got paid, but they waited their own sweet time to pay and didn't return calls, etc. Out of sight, out of mind kind of thing. I don't like that, and them moving out of city/state causes a problem with suing. If they were local, I could cut off service and take legal action if necessary. But out of state and out of sight poses a problem for collecting. So my thoughts are, in the future, to require a deposit for these accounts. That way I am assured that I get my money even if they do flake out. I wonder, though, that it might deter potential customers. Any thoughts?

Usually, I have no problems getting paid, haven't had to pursue anyone for a couple years now. I'd like to keep it that way.

:D

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

That seems fair to me. If they're moving out of state, they should understand your hesitation to extend them credit. Now, at least in Virginia, you can still take them to court provided you know their address in their new state. I once sued a guy that moved from Virginia to Spokane, WA. The judge said "You think he'll fly in over $200?" We won the case, the guy sent a check a couple weeks later. But if you don't have their new address you'd probably be outta luck.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Even if I know their address, just winning in court doesn't automatically get your money. There is a lot of hassels to have to put up with, and I'd rather have the money waiting for me in my own hands.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You're right, mtdman, I agree 100%. I think in our case our bill got lost in the shuffle when the guy moved. He had given us his new address for his final bill, but didn't pay for months. Anyway, I would ask for a deposit of some sort in the future, like you suggested.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would ask for the first mowing and last mowing up front if you are having problems.

I had something similar to this situation about 7 years ago. A lady was selling her house and she told me to keep on doing it. Next thing I know I am not getting paid and she is off in Puerto Rico claiming that she never asked me to do any type of services at all. So I tried to go through the real estate company but they refused to pay me as well. Chalk that one up