Moving dirt pricing

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jim Stockwell, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Jim Stockwell

Jim Stockwell LawnSite Member

Any landscape architecture firms out there?

Looking for a ball park on taking a too flat 300' by 180' (soccer field) piece and putting a 1% crown on it and then putting a decent fescue mix down and the a bale of straw/ 1000 ft2. I think the dirt is okay, we'd just use what we've got.

It seems I've seen dirt work pricing on a per yard basis. Is that a standard? i.e. in park district proposals I've seen x yards at $y/yard with no explanation - the prices I've seen aren't just the dirt, i.e. $15 per yard - more like $30-50 per yard (my memory may be wrong).

ALso, how long would it take and is it too late this season?

We're in Cincinnati.

TIA

2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on what the customer wants sometimes they want a per yard price and some like a total bid price.
    A good thing to have done first is a soil sample so you can see if the soil is up to par to grow a lawn well. And yes this is a great time to sow seed. A good company should be able to have a lawn of that size put in in about 2 days with germination in about 7-10 days and able to be cut in about 3-5 weeks all depending on weather. Hope this will help and what part of Cinci are you located in?

3. Jim Stockwell

We're in Warren county - Landen area. When you say 2 days, are you including the time to rip it up and put the crown on it also?

4. Gatewayuser

Usually I can get a lawn tilled and graded and seeded in 2-3 days depending on weather and soil conditions, I'm guessing since your in landen you have a clay type soil. Now when you say 1% crown do you mean a 1% grade so water does'nt sit? I'm located in Harlan Township Warren County.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If I undrstand you, your gonna tear up a soccer field and crown it at 1% grade in the middle and then reseed the whole thing? If this is the case the area that will need reseeded will be larger because of the machines running on the outsides. With out seing it [post some pics] I would be around 11-12 k range if the dirt was there. 2 days at the most and probably only one day start to finish, but it depends on your equipment.

6. Jim Stockwell

Right - 1% slope (crown) - on a 60 yard (180') wide field the middle would be 1.8' or 21-22" higher than field edges.

Olderthandirt - Good point about needing to reseed the outsides also.

7. Gatewayuser

The soccer field that you are talking about is it at Landen park on SR 22? I'm thinking around $6-8,000 if no soil was needed and seeded with a good sports turf mix. I would need to see the field to give a better price.

8. Jim Stockwell

Not Landen park - its Minard Park on Fields Ertel, between Columbia and US22.

We just filled in some low spots and seeded. Now our board is thinking about drainage.

We have a price of 8000+ to put in a drainage system. I'm looking for alternatves like a crown.

TIA

9. Gatewayuser

I think it might be wiser to go with the drainage because that would be easier than redoing the field.