Moving from illinois to Colorado?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Pristine Cutz, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Pristine Cutz

Pristine Cutz LawnSite Member

Hey everyone! I Hope this is right forum to write this thread. :)
    I have currently been mowing for 10 years, nothing big just part time 40-60 lawns weekly with here and there landscaping. I currently live in Peoria, Illinois and have about one year left at Illinois State University finishing up my horticulture degree.

My question is I really would like to move to Colorado! I have always enjoyed the state and atmosphere. Do you think this would be a bad choice? I know there is plenty of places to move but Colorado would be awesome! If i do choose to move to Colorado where would you suggest moving. I am asking this in hope with a reply of an experienced professionals opinion. Thank you very much for your time in reading my thread!
  2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know from the view of running a business there. But I was staioned there awhile. I just don't think they would have a very long cutting season. but I don't know how it is north of Denver. Good luck though. The roads where set up real funny in alot of areas to that would make for alot of drive time.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Better have a heavy duty truck and snow plow!!
  4. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

You might as well move here too, everyone else is. Your state is one of I'd call the "big four" of people exporters to Colorado. Texas, California, and Nebraska being the other three and a good chunk of these people are dragging mowers behind them. Prepare to be just another rat in the rat race.
  5. Pristine Cutz

Rat race doesn't sound too fun...

Anymore ideas or thoughts about Colorado?

Thanks again everyone viewing and replying!

6. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

TAKE A PLOW!!!!!!!!!! and your business will be booming :)
  7. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some family out in Colorado. Its a great place IMO! For lawn maintenance it would be decent but be sure to get into snow removal. I think you could make some $$$ with the snow they recieve up there. -Mitch-
  8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Snow removal and Christmas lights are good off season work.
  9. LupineLandscaping

LupineLandscaping LawnSite Member

Mojob has it right...come join the rat race. Reality is, we live in a freaking beautiful place and have a hard time sharing. There is great opportunity here as an lco and snow removal. Long travel distances should be expected depending on your location. Lots of newbies and inexperience...only the strong survive...especially with the cost of living. Is it worth it? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Good luck,
  10. Pristine Cutz

Haha. I dont think that lawn care will be my only objective, i am going to start in real estate also, so with high prices that could be a good thing. :dancing: