Moving home business to commercial location.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by echeandia, Oct 30, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering moving my business from my home to a commercial location. The need for space larger than my garage and the need for a full time employee next season is what is driving this. If you have any recommendations on ways to approach this transition I would appreciate it.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

are you just moving the equipment end of it or the office part too?

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Just the equipment.

4. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We used to rent a very large storage unit. Only thing David hated was having to go to the unit to work on the equipment and it felt like he was going "to work" all the time...and he hates that feeling.

On the other hand, another lawn care here has a really nice commercial property with a med sized garage, drive and nice landscaping. A nice sign with the company name, and David and I both agree that that is a nice set up. His employees go there, park, work, etc. But, I don't know how much time the guy actually spends there himself. It works well for him.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's pretty straightforward.

1. Get a 12 month lease minimum.
    2. Get the largest place you can afford monthly. Even if it seems too big right now cause trust me in no time flat you will fill up your existing new place and need more space...happens everytime, just like with enclosed trailers.
    3. Concrete floor and lots of electrical outlets are handy. A 220v outlet is nice too in case ya wanna splurge later on for a 60 or 80 gallon compressor.
    4. Place should have a designated work bench area, either existing or you make one.
    5. Large bay doors and a heated place are nice to have.

All I can think of for now...hope that helps some.