Moving large boulders.....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cmar2cmar, Sep 1, 2009.

1. cmar2cmar

cmar2cmar LawnSite Member

What do you guys use to move large boulders....piece of equipment?

I have a customer that wants some large boulders moved in his yard. I would guess the largest one is 5x3x3, maybe slightly larger.

I know I could use an excavator with a thumb however I would basically be moving on a light to moderate slope.

Wanted to throw this question out and get some feedback.

TIA!

2. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

I think you could probably roll that with a skid loader, not pick it up, but roll it. If you need to pick it up and move it, then I would recommend either larger front end loader or an excavator. Another option you might have would be to use a crane. A crane is the easiest way to set boulders - bar none!

3. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

A skid with a 3200lb capacity may be able to lift it. Most skids or mini excavators over 7k should be able to roll those rocks. You may need a 16k ex to pick that rock up.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

if it's alot, then maybe use a decent mid size excavator.

If its not alot, then use a skid steer with forks.

5. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

either skidder with forks or if you don't want to scratch it, put it on a pallet them move it with forks. if you roll it, it will be scratched to heck most likely. most of the boulders i use have moss and such growing on them and i wouldn't want to disturb that.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

If my old field calc's are right that is about 2.5 tons and you would be wise to get a crane to move it. That's about all we ever used.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Don't screw around with a skid steer or a mini ex.* We always would use a Tele-handler for moving and setting very large boulders.* Great, great machines and often you can stay out of the grass depending on where the stone is in relation to the hard surface.

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my foreman with a 4,000+ boulder we installed on an earlier job.

Vince Serock during (18).jpg

9. ff1221

ff1221 LawnSite Member

What's a rock like that worth?