Moving Large rocks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

A buddy of mine at several farms wants some rocks moved and loaded onto a trailer to take to his house. Now I have not yet seen the rocks or know what type of rocks they are. He claims they are about the diamter of a wheel barrow and between a 1' and 2' thick. He would like to hire me to move all twelve or so. Now I have no idea how heavy they are or have seen them yet. I may come take a look at them. All I have to do is pick them up, load them on the trailer and unload them at his house. I would rather not use my new bucket. Would a grapple be best to rent and move them? Will a 250 Series II move them?? Would you guys pass on a job like this? dont want a job if its going to putt allot of stress on my machine.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

use some forks. You might be able to use a skid steer if you can balance them. Counter weights are probably in order depending on their weight.

3. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

use forks, they are lighter than a bucket so you will have that much more lifting ability. I don't no if you can lift them or not I think you will be able to though. To you have the counterweights?

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Those shouldn't cause damage to your bucket. You won't be slamming into them and tossing them around...no need. I wouldn't rent anything...that would be overkill. If they actually turn out to be as you described they may only be 200 - 250 lbs each.

5. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Now that I think about this more, you will pick those rocks up easily

6. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. A grapple or forks would be better, but not if you have to rent. That isn't very many rocks, and if they're the size he described to you, your loader will move them easily, just take your time.

Keep in mind how you're going to unload the rocks. I assume he has a flat trailer of some size? It will be harder and take longer to unload. Bring some chains along in case you need to wrap them around the rocks to pull them to where you can reach them. You might even be better pulling the rocks off to unlead them, if you can't run your machine on the trailer to get them in the bucket.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you should probably look at the rocks first..you might need a 943 or a 953 or a backhoe...i know that i can't move anything too big with our takeuchi...rocks get heavy fast, it may not look like it weighs that much but it does, especially if you are having to dig them out of the ground first....also once you load them, what are you going to be hauling it with?...i know DOT guys and state cops love to pull over odd shaped loads that are tough to tie down, such as if you are hauling with a skidloader trailer...dump trailer or dump truck you would be fine.

8. Fieldman12

He is going to be hauling the rocks on a flatbed trailer. I asked him how much his trailer is rated for. Im trying to figure out possible how many it could hold. Im guessing it will probably not hold over two or three so Im betting it will be an all day job even though he does not live that far away. No I do not have the counter weight set on my machine. The rocks from what I understand are already out of the ground. I have not messed with that many large rocks. I just dont want to mess up my new bucket or get out there and not be able to budge them. He said he visited a place today that sells them and he said they moved them with skid steers and the rocks where placed on pallets. I would think all that weight in one spot would cruch a pallet.

9. Fieldman12

I see allot of ads in brochures of them moving big things of concret and so on but it is usually a bigger machine than I have.

10. Fieldman12

I see allot of ads in brochures of skid steers moving big things of concrete and so on but it is usually a bigger machine than I have.