Moving Leaves fast

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

How would you clean out a wooded area of 8 inches of completely rotted leaves fast?I do not want to disturb the soil under the leaves.I was thinking of using a Dingo with a bucket and push them to one side , then load them in a dumpster. what do you think???

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Are you going to plant there?I would suggest you leave them..the trees need them

3. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

maybe plant grass or flowers.

4. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

is there not enough info, doesn't anyone clear out wood land???

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well if they are decomposed enough..you can plant right in them.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

To really clear out leaves fast I'd use a pushblower but wooded areas are not much fun for this. For one, the brush gets in the way, and for another the soil is so soft that the blower's wheels won't hardly move.

You could probably do it with a dingo, other than it won't clear trees thicker than 3-4 inches in diameter but the bucket is so small I am not sure if loading stuff to dump would be productive. I would, however, push all the stuff into a pile with the bucket, then rake + tarp it. Actually, I'd probably use a 10-tine pitchfork. At the very least, pile it up, then move the truck close to the pile or vice-versa (plan it so in the end you got truck next to pile), then use the dingo <- that should work, if pile + truck are close together it's not so bad. Yeah, right next to each other, maybe just far enough apart to fit the dingo in between, so truck - dingo - pile then you load, turn on a dime, dump (but careful turning with the loaded shovel in the air).

Reason I say this is because I can unload mulch faster with a wheelbarrow than with a dingo... The dingo is slow moving even at top speed, and barely holds as much as a wheelbarrow, I can walk faster than the dingo crawls, and a tarp holds more stuff. Just trying to keep the productivity in mind, I know manual labor blows but it's / hour so it costs more to go slow.

I find with manual labor, if I can outperform the machine and I quote it high enough to where if I really work I am earning $60+ / hour, suddenly all the pain disappears and I am very, very motivated.

7. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be interested in the answers too.

I'm doing a job just like that now...only they're not totally rotted but still about 8" deep.

So far, I determined a small cleared area to use as a common area....then I used the backpack blower to blow all the leaves to this area...it's the only decent way I found to get the stuff cleared through the brush, and not disturb the ground..especially near the tree trunks. Remember, the ground under those leaves is like a sponge...and...theres a lot of sticks in that 8" depth.

From there, I used 2 methods-- rake and tarp, and then in a large enough area I used the small skid steer like a plow to move it all into a big pile. You have to be careful not to disturb the ground underneath.

In general, you really need a small cleared out area to pile it all up...if not, you're stuck in the brush! After that, disposal method (dumpster/load in truck) is up to you. For me, I got a small shredder and made the pile a whole lot smaller as it was OK to mover to the other side of their property. It takes a lot longer this way, but if they want the pile left and space is an issue, then crunching them up doesn't really take a lot of time and then moving the pile to the other side really takes a lot less time. It will make good compost in a couple years (shredded pile is about 10' wide x 20 ft long x 6ft high).

Ask sheshovel but you should take a look at the trees after you get all the leaves out of there---- the roots are used to that 8" of rotted leaves...and I bet they like it!