1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Moving my mowing business...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Sep 2, 2005.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Next year, I will be going off to college. I have 9 lawn accounts to get rid of, I plan on giving them to a good friend of mine for his start in the business, but many recommend I sell my accounts. How do I sell small residential/commercial mowing accounts???
  2. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

you agree to a price.
    you introduce him to your customers, he starts doing the work, and he gives you money.
  3. GTLC

Yes, but how much should I charge for each account???
  4. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

two, or three months of revenue is a fair price.
  5. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

2 or 3 weeks of gross is fair.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

One month gross earnings.
  7. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

One month gross.

Spread out over three months if it's to a friend.

8. GTLC

OK, so know I have calculated 1 months worth of revenue, and I could have 3-5 contractors wanting these accounts, but I told my buddy he's first in line. But its gonna be hard telling them they are going to cost money...it won't be easy... :help:
  9. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

If he is a good friend just give him the accounts and have him buy you a couple of dinners. This is no different than quitting a part time job for you. You are going to college and you will have to drop the accounts with or without getting paid for them. Get your friend off to a good start. :)
  10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Its only 9 accounts ;) ;) IMO if it were me depending how much they brought in I would just give them to him for a few of weeks worht of mowing revenue.