moving pea gravel ?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Olylawnboy, Apr 5, 2005.

1. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure how many men will be on the job, but I have found it fastest to bring several wheel barrows and have one man just to load them. Another man to wheel and dump them, and another to spread. They take turns as the first two jobs are tough. Figure only filling about half to 3/4 of the wheel barrow. Without seeing it, I would say 10 man hours is in the ballpark.

2. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Depending on your energy leval,and how well and long you all can hold strong,you should be able to move APROX 1.75 to 2.0 yards per hour with 2 men 2 shovels 1 rake with wheelbarrow.....use rotational system so you won't wind down as quick!

3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Why can't you use a mini skid steer? They aren't much wider than a wheel barrow. They don't weigh too much and cause minimal damage to things if used correctly.

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kind of like others said, it depends on the fitness level of those doing the work. I can move a ton an hour that distance all day, but I am 38 years old and weigh 140 lbs. Some guys can move much more, others, much less, depending on how fit they are.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

remember my 1 rule the first guy to dump the wheel barrel buys lunch