Moving sago palms

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by LawnsharkMB, Jul 16, 2013.

1. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

RJBurton & Sons Landscaping LLC. All of my clients are south of Glens Bay rd, mainly Murrells Inlet and Litchfield. If I ever catch you on a job rather than passing you on the road I'll stop and chat.

2. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good. I live in Socastee. I wish I had more work on the south end.

3. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

You should be fine. Summer is actually the best time to transplant palms. Sagos can take a long time to establish, so after only a few months it should be about like planting from a container. You do not want the ground to dry out, but be careful with the water. I have seen more palms die in GA & SC because of too much water rather than not enough.

If your customer thinks sagos can not live in pots, you might be better off just charging them to transplant them into the yard. If you convince them the sagos will be fine in the pots and for whatever reason they die, you have lost all credibility with your customer. If you transplant them and they die it is no big deal because you warned them that there is always a chance a plant may not survive being moved.

4. Not sure what you consider too much water.. but I tell all my customers who my transplant or plant palm trees that they need to soak it in every single day for the first 30 days. I have yet to have had a problem with over watering.. in 90 degree plus weather you better believe it those palms need to be soaked every single day. F.y.i a sago is a cycad not a palm tree

5. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

Thanks for clarifying, I could have been a little more clear. I have not found sagos and palms to need nearly the amount of water when transplanted in the summer as other more common/native trees or 30 gallon shrubs we use in GA & SC.