Moving Sand

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by olderthandirt, May 23, 2005.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I have to move 15 ton of sand approximately 75'. The problem is theres no easy way of moving it that I can see, the shortest route is down some steps so thats out, the only other way around is a nasty side hill approx. 20-23 degree slope. So I can't use the skid or the tractors. The only other thing I can think of is to rent a motorized concrete buggy, but I don't think it will do to well on the slope. And a wheel barrow won't work because that to much work :p Any suggestions???????
  2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Conveyer might work if your local rental places have one.Also, I hear someone on this site has a system for climbing stairs with motorized equipment. :D
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How steep are these steps?
    Any chance of laying down some lumber and using some horsepowered equipment?

I like horsepower........... :p
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Can you use a concrete chute to get it down the stairs straight into a wheelbarrow or front-end loader.
  5. StealthDT

StealthDT LawnSite Member

I'd use a 2" hose and air compressor to blow it like a sand blaster
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Look into renting a Dingo type loader. If you can get one with tracks, it may even work on the stairs. The only other best option would be to get a couple of good wheelbarrows together, and see if you can get a few younger guys who are willing to make some quick cash.
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I read an article some where that a company had to replace a tree in a court yard. The had a crane lift in the tree and a mini excavator. But they used a Dingo to bring in the materials. They put plywood down. Then ran the dingo throught the building and down a flight of stairs. The brought it something like 10 yards of topsoil and haul out the old tree this way. They said the tracked dingo was a life saver. I bet this is the best choice.
  8. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

Provided you don't have a lot of overhead obstructions, what about a small crane with a concrete hopper? Around here, you can get a 50 ton for around $140/hour with a 3 or 4 hour minimum. If you've got a machine to load the hopper, you should be able to get it done in a couple of hours.