1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Moving Soil & crushed rock materials?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnkings, Feb 21, 2008.

1. lawnkings

lawnkings LawnSite Member

Im just wondering how the smaller landscape companies move materials. If you only have a skid loader and need to remove soil, where do you go to get it removed? If you need crushed rock on a job, who do you have deliver it? I assume an excavation company would deliver crushed rock, top soil, sand, etc. I'm just wondering if they would also remove soil if you loaded it. How do other people deal with this without having dump trucks?

2. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

we have our own dumptrucks so this isnt a problem for us, most of the supply yards offer delivery of their products to your jobsite.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

We have at one time or another used a dump trailer , a standard trailer and even out enclosed trailer to haul various stuff from job sites...we take all green and woody materials to the recycle areas and dirt and rock to the local landfill....You can always rent a dump trailer if you need to move a few tons of material.
  4. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Yah if you can load it on the skid trailer and unload it by hand it sucks but it has to be done sometimes. I know that places in our area like sunbelt rentals will rent dump trailers so if you have a place like that I would see if you could rent one here and there. It might also be a good idea to invest in one as well some of them are made so that you can drive your skid up in to them. So if you can find on that you like it might be benifical to you to trade your skid trailer in for a dump trailer or just have both.
  5. lawnkings

lawnkings LawnSite Member

Thank you very much for all the input. great ideas to keep in mind!