Moving to a new area-How to get new yards quick?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justinduke, Jul 16, 2007.

1. justinduke

justinduke LawnSite Member

Like the title says i'm going to be moving at the beginning of august. I have a decent amount of yards where I am now that I slowly picked up over the years but when I move i'm not liking the feeling of having no yards and having to start over. What would be the best way for me to get back into some yards when I move? Any ideas appreciated!
  2. S.W.T.1975

S.W.T.1975 LawnSite Member

Find a new sub-division, don't undercut guys who are already there.
  3. justinduke

justinduke LawnSite Member

Well when you say find a new sub-division do you mean just start going door to door or what?
  4. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Depends alot on where you are moving to. But keep in mind the time of year it is. Most people who contract or pay for mowing already have someone, and alot of the country is in a dry spell, as in not enough rain. I would suggest that you get some flyers ready and get them out. Especially if you want to build a better customer base for the next mowing season.
  5. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Only way to get a lot of lawns quick is to undercut. To get yards that pay well takes time and good referrals.
  6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Advertise where you can!!! - Some local news stations have advertisinfg for cheap. Mailers, door to door, etc

If you are not mowing then you have time, flyers on doors, etc - people are getting sick of doing it them selves at this point in the season so you can pick up a few.

Is this out of your area or what? Diff. state, county? Lots of stuff local you can do, you just need to research!
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Some times that don't work....Justmow it came thru our area and offered $26 per mow and the going rate was $30 they only got a couple in an area where there is 500 homes.
  8. S.W.T.1975

S.W.T.1975 LawnSite Member

Most of my money comes by word of mouth. Do good work and they will find you. As for the "foot in the door" that is the hard part. Run an ad in the paper, folks who have enough money to pay someone to cut their grass read the paper (ie. doctors, lawyers, and the like).
  9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I would have to agree. I advertised during the spring of my first season, and have not advertised since. It's all been word of mouth.
  10. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

JustinDuke I dont know if you are a beginner or not, so if you are I will give you a pass. But if you arent I wonder about your business acumen to ask that question. How did you get accounts at where you live at now? Da...