Moving to Fla???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hef37087, May 11, 2008.

1. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

I have family that lives in Bradington, Fla. and I have been talked into the thought of moving there. I am used to the plant life and landscaping knowledge of Tn. and need some advice. I don't know much about Fla., but was told I would do good there. Is the market that good or is there too much compatition there? I am just now getting my business rolling good here and am nervous about starting over. Any help would be apprerciated.

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know where Brandington is, but if its South Florida you can count on more illegals cutting grass for 20 bucks a cut than you can handle. North Florida isn't nearly as bad, but you'll find far less people with money to throw around on lawn care.

3. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the Sarasota area, and im guessing your meaning Bradenton, if not o well. Its not to bad here, theres ALOT of grass, and theres alot of homes that are deed resticited and must keep theyre yards nice. I think it about the same here as every were else, except we mow year round

4. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're going to be cutting in Florida, there is money to be made, but rates are lower. You can make up for it in volume, however. And don't believe the hype about the illegals, most of the guys that charge less are legally here. You'll know em when you see em.

5. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I about 45 minutes from Bradenton. Like the rest of the Floridians have said, there is plenty of grass to mow, but there are alot of folks down here that have lost their jobs and have gotten into the business. Lawns are smaller and the rates are lower than up north. Good luck to you.

6. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I was meaning Bradenton...I also have thought of the Venice area. I have family there also. I lived there when I was about 7 and had a very bad allegic reaction to the fire ants, so that allergy will have to be tested before I make any kind of move. It was mentioned that some yards are cheaper than here. What is the average cut in Fla.? Here the average is $30/hr.

7. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Well...I guess I am the only one here that actually lives in Bradenton. Its a tuff start to be honest. I sent out 5,000 post cards about a month ago....got three phone calls. That's it. There are a million guys cutting grass....so that can be taken in one of two ways depending on how you want to look at it -- a lot of competition or must be that much grass. I wouldn't believe the hype about the illegals either.....most around here do not own their own business but work for a white guy, no offense, who has multiple trucks and a "real" legit business.

Anyways, I see alot of guys that I honestly think will be gone next year...but doesn't really matter....more will pop up. To give you an idea....I have three lawns in the same sub....two at $100 per month...and one at $120. There were flyers left in this neighborhood for $59 a month....any cut.

Absolutely zero money in a $59 a month cut....but that is what you have to deal with.

Just my two cents.

8. MyKisa

MyKisa LawnSite Member

still selling 10 new homes daily in the Villages, Florida...actually wish I knew how to take more and not turn down a dozen or more each month

9. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Probably because nobody has ever heard of the villages??? Y

10. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Google it,its a retirement community.

Dave...