moving to new home, will need a big mower

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by davidki, Feb 28, 2005.

1. davidki

davidki LawnSite Member

I've been reading this forum for a couple of days now and really enjoying the information. I have a little different situation I think, we have just started to build a new home on 23 acres here in the Lebanon area (east of Nashville) and the lot was a farm, so, the lot is quite nice with lots of grass. The previous owner did a great job of clearing the lot and bush hogging the land 3 times a year.. at first I was thinking of just cutting 2 -3 acres around the house, but after reading this site it looks like it could be cut with a zero turn mower and be alot of fun! I probably will cut as needed and may ever opt to have someone brush hog he main pasture areas but hey, from what I read a Zero turn could handle what I want to do and very quickly. I estimate we proabably have 10-12 acres that will need cutting (other than the area around the house I will have to cut more often).

So, does this mean I need to look at the Super Z class of machine? Perhpas a 60" deck?

Is there any of you folks in my area using the Hustler? I have spoken with one of the dealers here in Lebanon, haven't really talked price, but with the rebate discounts looks like I will want to do something before May 31st.

Maybe there is one of you guys that is in my area and cut large lots, perhps I could talk with you about what you would suggest?

Ok, so, let me know your thoughts, I did go to the John Deer dealer, he suggested a 737or 757 then I went to the Snapper dealer and he had a few models, but I dont see much on them.

I appreciate any comments and or suggestions you may have, feel free to write me here or directly to my email.. Im in no rush but its time to start to look at al my options.

Dave

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If your cutting 10 to 12 acres on a regular basis, I would look at the largest cutting width you can get.
    A 72" Super will make quick work of it.

Pj

3. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

David,
    Just my two cents worth....I bought a super z last year w/ a 60" deck. I cut my 5 acres of grass ( most field grass ) in about 3 hours. My property is not all that smooth so I really can't fly through cutting it. But I think the 3 hour mark is pretty good. If I needed to cut any larger property, like yours, I would definitely get the 72" deck.
    I looked at alot of other mowers, and honestly liked the Hustler for its simplicity and warranty. Some of the other mowers looked and felt cheap, yet were more expensive.
    I think most people on this forum would tell you that cutting grass with a z-turn mower is actually fun and not really work. Most wives would say their husbands look too happy for the day the grass needs cutting. I don't think you'd be disappointed investing in a mower like these. I like my Super Z and can't wait until the weather gets warmer so I can tune it and go. Good luck with your search.

4. tn mac

tn mac LawnSite Member

I would go with a 72" deck,and the biggest engine you can.I cut mainly large estates and cut 30 acres every friday with two ZTRS one 72 and one 52 and we take about 7 hours 3 man crew. good luck with the new yard.

5. davidki

davidki LawnSite Member

Well, first off, Im still in shock that we picked up so much property, I hope we dont regret it in the long run.. saying that, this will be the first lawn I willl have cut in probably 20 years, so I really bit off a big chunk..

The new Z mowers are really interesting and there are quite a few out there. I started to look at the John Deer, then, when I stopped to look at the Kabota and another one the dealer showed me the Z. .. so, since then I've been reading as much as I can here and other forums on the Hustler product.

I did get a quote today, but it was MFSLP less the rebate, no discount off MFSLP, so I will probably check out a few more places.. hopefully I can get it squared away before the rebate goes away.

Anyone in the Nashville area have any dealer experiances drop me a note.

Dave