1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Moving to San Luis Obispo - Anyone close?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RB, Jun 19, 2002.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

My wife's job is taking us to San Luis Obispo, Ca. Since I'm a solo LCO I have a great opportunity to sell all my contracts and make a little money. I will probably keep my equipment and I'd like to continue to landscape. If anyone knows the area I'm moving to I would like to email with questions if it's possible.

I hope to hear from some Californians.

2. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

I lived in SLO over 10 years ago and loved it. I wasn't mowing lawns at the time but I'm sure you could get work. It's mostly a college town with the university there. One of the best places to live in California in my opinion. California isn't that friendly as far as regulations and taxes go. There are some places that don't allow gas powered blowers because of noise pollution. There are profitable lawn businesses everywhere and I'm sure you can make one work in SLO. Good luck.
  3. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx Wolfpack.

4. One issue to consider, what worked in PA., might not work here in CA. Brush up on your Spanish, your going to need it if you eventualy hire anybody.

Gardening here in Ca has changed so and I mean so much in the last 10 years. Just keep an open mind and remember, no more winter vacations. We work all year round, except for rain days, which haven't been that much the last couple years.

5. I am in the process of moving from no-cal back to ohio, i trust that your wifes company has informed you about the insane cost of housing and the high cost of p.g.&e. in california along with everything else.
    California has been good to me but i finally decided that it wasn't worth the cost anymore so i sold my small 1300sq. ft. house for almost a half a million $$$ and said bye bye.
    I hope you dont mind celebrating christmas in 70 degree weather, after about 5 years you wont be dreaming of a white christmas hell you'll settle for a cloudy and cool christmas.
    Hey best of luck to you and your wife :cool: :cool:

6. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

In California:

To do landscaping over $500.00 you need a contractors license C-27
    To apply pesticides you need a license
    You will need a biz license

And every Tom Dick and Harry with a crapsmen lawn mower is a landscaper.
    But the weather is great we work year round, just remember the pricing structure is different then yours.