moving up to tiger cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RhinoL&L, May 21, 2007.

1. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L LawnSite Member

I do about 25 lawns and use a 48 in scag walk behind. I was thinking about looking for a used scag tiger cub any suggestions on what you guys use and what wouold be a good price. Also anyone in the central ohio area, do you know where I could find a used scag. What have you guys had the best success with in ztrs. thanks shawn
  2. Jimmy Williams

Jimmy Williams LawnSite Member

We have been running Gravely 260's for several years now and love them. We just ordered a 148XDZ last week for some of the smaller residential and commercial accounts. We also have a great local dealer and that is why we stick with them. The Tiger Cub is a great mower. We looked at buying one but we don't have a dealer close by. You can't go wrong with a Scag.
  3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a used Tiger Cub 2 years ago. It took me 3 or 4 months to find one, and I had to drive 500 miles each way to get it. They are easier to find at the end of the season.

You'll see them on this site, Ebay, and (where I found mine).

Of course, the price would depend upon the hours and condition. I figured that the average life was about 2000-2500 hours and prorated the value from the price of a new one. I bought one with just under 1200 hours for $3200 (probably high, but there were few to choose from). I figured that for my use, as a homeowner, it would last for a long time.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend has a 48 inch 19 kaw with 600 hours to sell mid 4k.
  5. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. Do you think it would be better for me to get one, or since i only do 25 yards should i stick with my 48 wb.
    thanks shawn
  6. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

If you only have 25 yards and don't plan on expanding, I would personally stick with the walkbehind, or maybe purchase a sulky if you don't already have one. I couldn't justify spending thousands for a 50" Z if I already had a reliable 48" walkbehind. But if you plan on increasing the number of accounts you have, I would go with a ZTR.