1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Moving yard of mulch how long....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JShe8918, Apr 28, 2008.

1. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

How long does it take to move a yard of mulch with one guy on skid and one spreading. I have 15 yards of mulch to spread and need to get it done. Or would you just wheelbarrow it....

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Depends how far it needs to go. Also would the skid damage turf that would need repairs? Otherwise you could be out of there in 2 hours tops with the skid, or about 5 by hand.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

You could use the skid to load the wheelbarrows. We always figure 1 hr per guy to haul and spread by hand. It is usually less than this, but just a guide. With a skidloader probably a few hrs.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

w/ a skid loading and about 6 guys we normally can spread 100yds in 4.5-5 hours

5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have a small tractor/loader. With 1 guy spreading, and the pile between 150 and 250 feet from the beds. We did 12 yrds in 1 1/2 hrs.

6. JShe8918

I am thinking about renting a track skid. To do it. The pile will be directly in front of the beds. So Scoop then straight forward no swiveling and then straight back. But just a little worried about the compaction. Any one have problems the yard is not hard but also isn't wet.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would not rent for that small of a job. You should be done by 12. Usually we just use the dingo to load wheelbarrows.

8. JShe8918

Well it wouldn't be for just that... i have a lot of work that i could use it for here at home and it isn't but 197 plus tax for 8 hours.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How bad does that bite into your profit? If turn/pivot on the grass.. you can kiss it goodbye. Don't mini skids go for $100-$150?

10. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I charge my customers $45 hr and only ballpark the mulch at 2yds an hr.It seems to work out OK for me.I use a manure or grain shovel and dual wheel 8cu yd wheelbarrows.It seems to move along good that way.