1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mow 14 yards in 5 hours with 1 helper or mow the same in 6 hrs solo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnagent, Apr 30, 2003.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I could not beleive it. I have a contract in another town for 14 yards. I have taken a helper with me all year.............until today. It always took us 5 hours on the nose to do those yards. Today I go over there by myself and do the same 14 in under 6 hrs. Less than 1 hour more. And beleive me this guy that was helping me really does work hard. He is NO slacker. Anybody else had any similar discoveries?
    So basically I was paying him for 5 hours work to speed me up by a hour?
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you skip any trimming or blowing????????
  3. I would say any is too small, how about all of the trimming and most of the blowing.

Something is missing here, or you messed up, or there is only about an hours worth of trim and blow time, and you just found out.
  4. lawnagent

nothing at all was skipped. It was done EXACTLY the same.
    LGF, I think the last of what you said is probably true. They are just little cracker jack yards in town. Weedeat a square around the house 1 or 2 flower beds, and an occasional tree. I think I just found out, like you said, that there apparently is not that much weedeating and blowing. At least I found out now, rather than the end of the year.
  5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you found a slacker!.....:D

Maybe only busy when you were looking, and the other times with his finger up his.....well.....nose? LOL
  6. Yesterday evening:

$40 lawn in about 35 minutes.
    Then a $50 lawn in 45 minutes.
    Followed by a $45 lawn in 27 minutes.

Lots of people tell me I need a helper if I want to make big money. Maybe so, but will I be banking big money? Right around the heat of the day, I start kicking it, thinking about dinner I guess, LOL.
  7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

How about this.

Brought my sisters Husband to be with us the other day. He knocked a two hour trimming and blowing job out in less than 15 minutes! Hardly used any line or gas!:eek:
  8. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that 2 guys will never do the work of 1 guy in half the time. It just doesn't work that way. There are tons of variables here. Him not waiting for you, you not waiting for him, travel time, questions being asked, small talk, etc...
  9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

These must be really really small lawns or something,that only 25 minutes a lawn that includes drive time :rolleyes:
  10. lawnagent

yse, I said that they were small lawns. Still doesnt change the fact that I did not realize that one man made so little difference on those yards.
    What is this EPIC your put down day?