Mow after fall overseeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jondcoleman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

I offer aeration and overseeding to a lot of my customers in the fall and I am wondering how good it is to continue mowing with commercial mowers after seeding. I feel like the large tires will kill a lot of the new seedlings? What do you think or what is your practice? Thanks!

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We have found that the tire tracks offer better germination than the "open areas". Compacting the seed into the soil is a good thing IMO.

3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Americanlawn on seed/soil contact. Continue mowing when there is something tall enough to cut.

4. Jeff Tracey Enterprises

Jeff Tracey Enterprises LawnSite Member

not to sound like an idiot but..... I normally wait at least 2 or 3 weeks to mow after seeding just so my mower doesn't blow all the seed that hasn't washed into the hole's away. Have I been doing this wrong???

5. greenviewlandscaper

greenviewlandscaper LawnSite Member

no not at all Ive worked for 3 different landscape companies and have done the same thing and had good results by not mowing the new seeds until they sustain a good root system. Great results this way in the fall anyway.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Anytime you are seeding (core/seed or slice seed) it is best to mow really short before seeding (cut really low about 2").

This will do two things:
    1) You will get better penetration with equipment and seed placement (hence seed to soil contact)
    2) It will set the turf back a little which will allow you a little more time before the next mowing and cut down on competition from the existing turf.

After a good rain, I am not afraid to have them mow. Just make sure the turf isn't wet so you don't tear up/out the new grass. I also recommend mowing a little higher on the first cut (3") after seeding.

7. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

curious, if one is doing the fertilzation and weed control throughout the year then why is one selling/doing an aeration plus overseeding?

8. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Where I live in the transition zone with hot humid summers fescue will thin out unless the turf is managed perfectly which is not always easily achieved. So seeding at 5lbs. per thousand thickens it back up in the fall.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Just to list a few reasons for seeding:

Insects
    Drought
    New customer
    Shaded areas
    Disease

There are many other reason also...but I just don't feel like thinking this late in the evening.

Aeration is almost ALWAYS needed on EVERY Ohio lawn and this is a great time to seed those thinner areas that need that "thickening up".

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Grass is not immortal. Every year, some grass dies due to "Old Age" just like people do. You lose a small percentage every year. Overseeding replaces the dying grass. Of course, there are other reasons for thinning turf also, especially traffic from kids, BBQ's, ect.

Also, generally speaking, the seed you are overseeding with will be a newer, more disease resistant variety than what you have, therefore making your lawn more disease resistant over time.