1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mow And Go Dream Set Up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 man crew, Jan 16, 2003.

1. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I will be reworking my current equipment and trailer set up for both of my 2 man mowing crews.

Currently we cut 1 mid sized town home complex, 105 high end residential and 7, 1.5 acre office buildings per week.

I would like to switch all my mix match mowers (Great Dane Surfer 52, Toro hydro W/b 52 with a Turf Rider, Toro hydro 44 with a Turf Rider, Lesco 36 belt drive, and a Bob Cat 32 Belt drive.)

So this will hopefully be my new set up on both trailers

1) 60 Exmark lazer 27 hp

1) Exmark Turf tracer 52 hydro

1) Exmark 36 hydro

1) 16 foot trailer with a tong toolbox and a high mount mesh cage.

2) Trimmer traps and single blower racks on both sides of the trailer.

Any other ideas?
  2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

you left out something-2 big f350 superduties 6.0 to pull em.(RED ONES):D
  3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a nice setup to me, tell you help to take care of those new Exmarks....LOL Marks Mowing Service
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

How about this for mowers.

32" Exmark hydro (vicking?) with a Flex-deck and the biggest engine you can get. (32" or 50" cut)
    48" Exmark TT HP with Flex-deck and the biggest engine you can get. (48" or 66" cut)
    Sulkies (bull rider) and aluminum mesh catchers (accelerator?)
    for each

Add you favorite 60"-62" ZTR or turf ranger or Turftracer WB and you would have the right size mower for almost anything, even ditches slopes and gates.
    You could add an Exmark or Toro 21" for the really tight spots.
    Put your favorite double blade combo on each and an OCDC on each. And don't forget the drink holders:D

add at least one handheld blower with a vac attatchment to compliment your backpack(s).

Trimmers with the best power to weight ratio but no heavier than 11lbs and be sure to put an Edgit on each trimmer, (you won't need a blade edger more than once a year).

Some tarps for handling grass and other debris, a water cooler, maybe a small hand pump sprayer of roundup (if somone on the crew has on app licence) for those weds in the cracks of the drive.

Don't forget the spring assist for the trailer gate, and some straps to tie the mowers down.
    And maybe some signs on the trailer.

It's nice to dream about:D :D

good luck

5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

For mulch you could consider 1 or 2 17 SQR FT dump carts set up to tow behind your ZTR. A small Dingo loader to load them and you will make quick and easy work out of mulch jobs and small landscape jobs should you decide to move in that direction.
  6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

My SOLO dream setup:
    4wd chevy xtra cab deisel dually
    16 ft enclosed trailer w/all the goodies
    52 exmark lazer z w/ cyclone rake
    36 exmark TT HP w/ jungle wheels and a trac vac
    21 toro commercial 4 cycle sp w/bbc push mower
    all stihl hand held equipment
    2 ryan lawn aire aerators (this is when I have a friend help out)
    ryan dethacher
    lesco stainless steel spreader
    toro 322dingo w/aerator, grade rake, bucket and auger

35 full service,year round,non grumpy and pays on time every month clients.......but you cant blame me for dreaming!:D
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

2 man crew,

which engine is the 27 on the Lazer? The 27 carb Kohler, or the LC Kaw? Also, which engine are you planning for the turf tracers? they are the full sized correct? By buying all this equip at once, and at one dealer, you ought to get a substantial break in price.

How many man hrs does your current rought take with your current equip....I would bet that with the new equip, you will be at least 20% faster and if you add accts to fill this time gap, then you will make more:) Hope im not too nosey
  8. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

I wish for the two man crew to show up everyday for work. Would it be to much to ask for them to be on time too? :D
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Why the 52"? It is too big for 48" gates, but is smaller than a 60". How about replace the 52" with a 48" (which can sometimes squeeze through a 48" gate!)?

Or, go the other way. Get two 60" ztrs, and use the 36" for what you can't reach with the ztrs.

Also, depending on what you are planning on using the 36" for, possibly look at a belt drive and save some money. Our 36" belt drive basically takes the place of a push mower, and is used only on a few lawns where the bigger machines can't reach certain sections. Considering how much smaller and lighter it is than the bigger machines, the belt drive works fine. Why have a hydro machine sitting on the trailer not being used?

(Actually, I just re-read your post and realized that you already run 36" belt drives so you know their pros and cons so the above may not help you!)

Just some ideas. Obviously, you have to consider the layout of your properties when choosing machines.

Good Luck! and keep growing!
  10. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, not at all.

I was thinking about the Kohler air cooled 27 for the Lazers. and the 20hp for the full size Turf Tracers.

Last year our mowing route took around 135 labor hours per week durring normal summer growth.

As far as the break in price? I'm not expecting to much, maybe 5%-10%. If it's more that great.