mow at what height?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pea, Jul 19, 2004.

1. pea

pea LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark Lazer Z . I have been mowing my yard at 2". What do most of you set your mowers at? I know about the don't mow to low or you will kill the grass during the hot time of year but I like it low. Just was wondering what most of you set it at.

pea

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Depends on the species of grass you are mowing.

3. KUBOTADAN

KUBOTADAN LawnSite Member

I MOW AT 2" ALSO. SEEMS I GET A BETTER CUT.

4. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool season grasses like here in Wisconsin? We mow most at 3.5 inch. Some at 3.25 this time of year 3 inch in Spring and 2.5 last mow of the season in the Fall. If you are mowing at 2 you must like sharping blades.

5. pea

pea LawnSite Member

the grass is KY #31

6. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Dan, I did not know they even had grass is Florida. Last time I was there I saw a cow eating an orange!

7. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

We cut Fescues(Ky31) at 3". The stems are fairly tall so cutting shorter will keep the grass from looking full.....Chuck

8. TEG

TEG LawnSite Member

I'm in Rochester NY and I cut around 3.25" - 3.5".

9. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

cutting at 4" here. we have bermuda, fescue and zoysia.

10. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

wow, 2"... up here in the soo i am cutting at 3.5"-4".. i cut the the steel mill and tube mill at 2.5... they are commercials that probably don't even realize they have grass..

on a side note, if i have been cutting at 3.5-4" the past couple months would it damage the grass to drop down an inch?? although it is healthy, i find keeping the grass a bit high does not give it a manicured look.

would love some feedback...