Mow every 5 days?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Royce, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Mike Royce

Mike Royce LawnSite Member

:cry: I'm thinking of moving all mowing clients to every 5 days instead of every 7during the heavy growing season. I'm hoping this will help with the heavy growth in the spring. When I we mow every 7 days, the grass is out of control and takes a lot longer to handle. Any thoughts?
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Are your customers willing to PAY for that?

Is your schedule open enough to allow it?

Are you willing to mow sundays, and are your customers ok with you being there on their "day of rest"?

I think it's a good idea, and technically it's what needs to be done to use the 1/3 rule on cutting. The whole "once a week" mowing was basically only adopted because it makes for a weekly schedule. Personaly, I'd never get every 5 days to fly, and there would always be some that would refuse, so then you would have some every 5 that would run into the ones that are every 7 and then you have some very overloaded work days!
  3. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I had a client for four years, we cut his lawn every three days in order to keep up with it and even this didn't keep up and keep him happy. He decided he would cut it himself last season. He cuts his lawn every evening, no kidding, but I think a lot of this is to stay out of the house and away from his wife :laugh: Would your customers go for a every five day cut since they would never be on the same day. I know this would only be for the heavy growth part of the season, but some people are funny about things like that.
  4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure the customers agree with the mowing schedule. Most do not understand that the grass will grow faster at different times of the season. I have one customer that ferts his own lawn and over waters, I mow this every 4 to 5 days during the Spring. I don't mind @ $50.00 per cut.
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put the MEG MO blades on your mowers and you can mow on a 7 day schedule with no problems. We have for the last 9 yr. and do not catch any grass.
  6. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

Marvel mystery oil works great too!!!

Just kidding Meg:dancing:

Nice plug for meg-mo though
  7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

No it is not just a plug for the MEG MO blades . It is what we have done now for 9 years. I just want to help you folks if I can. The old way is not the best all the time. THANKS
  8. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

More frequent mowing is soooo appropriate in the spring on cool season turf. Good luck getting the customers on board. Meg Mo, Gator, Doubles, all have there place I suppose, but when grass is growing 3-4 inches a week, it will take longer and cause more wear on equipment.
  9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I mow all my lawns on an as needed basis. So, in the spring, I'm mowing some every 3-5 days, and then of course they slowly become a week, then 10 days, then 2 weeks, and then of course not at all. The catch is, that I decide on when the lawn needs to be mowed, not the customer. They all know they can call and request it be done sooner, but not request for it to go longer unless of course I agree with them. I get paid per mowing. no contracts.
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I tried that one year and I got an ear full from alot of people. From there response you would think I was robbing them at gun point. Commercial accounts didn't seem to mind as much since they wanted the business kept looking good and understood it would only be during spring time growing season then go back to 7 day schedule.