1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mow every other week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnagent, Mar 18, 2003.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you mow something every other week and how many are like me, fed up and not gonna do it anymore. I told a guy the other day that I was no longer going to take any more bi weekly yards because my family eats every week.:angry:
  2. I mow everyone as it needs cut. (which is my call)

I tried stretching out the schedule. The grass would get too tall and I'd work twice as hard for the same money. Then the lawn would look bad and the customer would be unhappy with it.

People can want some of the damnedest things. But after all the talk about "It's too early, it's too wet, too soon" and what they can "afford" you need to steer the conversation back to the truth.
    I tell them "If you want to maintain this as a lawn you'll have to keep it mowed."

Around here that's every 5 days in the spring every 7 days in the summer, and every 10 days in the fall, depending on the lawn.
    Unless you're south of Lexington, it'd have to be about the same for you.

Good luck with trying to pound some sense into those customers.

3. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

makes me laugh you asked this.Just let 3 customers go that I mowed 2 week cycle.Too hard to schudule and heaven forbid you get a few rain days during that 2 weeks.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I let one go last year because this was the type of arrangement she wanted - sometimes. Trying to please the customer, I told her that I will mow every other week and charge her double she was upset. At that point I told her that she can begin to look for a LCO that will work at her schedule.

3 less asprin per week for me.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you Do Need the accounts Just Charge them The cut Plus Halve Then Replace Them With full time customers.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

2 week yards turn into once a month yards in the summer. Or, the dreaded, "I'll call you when it needs it." If you raise the price after a few years, that is another time when they want to stretch the time out, to take away your raise.
    I had one I mowed for 4 years, raised the price last year, in the summer when it slowed down, she said, "it doesn't need it, or at least it isn't worth 40 dollars." I explained that I charged the same in the spring when I took a lot longer, and it made up for it when it was a little quicker to mow in the summer. I also warned her that if she lets the weeds get tall, they will take over. Well, she said she'd call "in a few days." Her retired friend mowed it, and when a couple more weeks went by, she finally called. Again she tried to get me to talk myself down, saying that some of it wasn't that bad. She also told me to let her worry about the weeds. I told her that mowing after 5 weeks was not the same price as our agreed upon 10-14 day price, it would be 60 instead of 40. She said that was rediculous. I agreed, and left.
    Another problem with two-weekers, they try to say, "Come back next week." They think you are sitting at the house when you aren't at their house, not realizing you are at some other cheapskate two-weekers house.
  7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Do I mow every 2 weeks?

I learned the hard way...mile high grass (usually wet) that had to run over two or three times per visit to eliminate the clumps. And that's just the begining.......

One of the best business decisions I have made thus far is instituting a policy of WEEKLY visits only.

Even 10-Day scheduling becomes a real PITA once you aquire a bunch of weekly clients....as there are only 7 days in a week. With 10-Day lawns EVERY OTHER WEEK is murder on wed, thur, and fri....especially once they are filled up with weekly customers and it rains cats and dogs on those three days. :dizzy:

If a person want's dependable, quality, and friendly lawn service...I'm their guy.

If a person want's to "save money" I steer them towards a bank. I am not a bank. ;)

Besides, selling 'extras' to 2 weekers is not unlike pulling hen's teeth. Their priority is to 'save money'...and they are not concerned with having the nicest lawn on the block.

Leave them to little Timmy down the street....he needs a new X-Box.........:D
  8. Cameron Services

Cameron Services LawnSite Member

I had some accounts last season that I mowed bi-weekly and hated it. As of this season everything will be done weekly or it won't be done by me.
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I mow a few every two weeks and prefer weekly and sometimes mowing taller grass is a pain, but here's why I do it.

1. I can charge enough extra per-mow to make it pay. ($42 for bi-weekly on a lawn that might be $32 weekly)

2. Timing of the cuts is less sensitive than weekly customers. You can schedule them with a little more flexibility.

3. I simply combine two bi-weekly's on alternate weeks and I have a full schedule.

4. In the early spring and fall, when grass may not be growing as fast, lawns still need mowing at least every other week. By combining two bi-weeklys in a slot, I stay at full capacity longer than if I had all weekly customers. (Mid March-mid-November). Plus, the cuts made during slower growth periods are much faster, but I'm still charging more for them, so I make a little more.

5. Bi-weekly's usually have lower quality lawns because of their cheapness, so they're not as picky on cut quality anyway.

The key is to charge enough up front to cover your time. Sometimes I haven't done this and wound up cursing as I double mow lots during heavy growth, but if you're charging say, 25% extra, you have that covered. But it depends on the type of grass. I only go two weeks on ONE Bermuda lawn...it just grows too fast.

But I found my profits went up by doing more bi-weekly mows on cool season turf(Tall Fescue here) , since my schedule no longer dropped off suddenly with the first cool weather.

I still hate doing them at times, but my main business is mowing so I hate to turn away profitable mowing customers. I'm already turning away enough people who want flowers, mulching, cleanups, weeding, etc.
  10. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

One of my biggest contracts(30+ acres just of grassnot) only wants to be done every 10 days.

And you can't do it that far apart and have it look like it should and like i want it to look.

I've tried and tried to get them to do it the way it should be done but they're not willing to listen to what I say.

I've even shown them info thats available on the subject of how often grass should be mowed( Mower's owners manual's, Turf care books etc..)

Now they get what they pay for and requested and I don't worry about having it look good, I don't double cut it or worry about the clumps etc...

Just take my check and don't worry about it.Tried to educate them but they don't care.