"Mow Fertilyzer"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mh1314, Jul 27, 2003.

1. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Anyone else out there have problems with clients seeing themselves as a horticulturist crossed with Tim the Tool man "Mow Fertilizer"? I have one contract where the client insists that Chem-Lawn does his fertilizing needs. The only problem is that the day after Chem-Lawn comes and applies their magic, he spreads more granular fertilizer just in case it needs more. Mix this with a need to run his sprinkler 4 times a week, even in the rain, it ain't pretty.

I've talked to him on numerous occasions, but somehow he sees the 5-6 inch growth every 3-4 days as healthy. Can you spell Thatch! I've been closing in the days between mowings, but refuse to bag this jungle as he won't pay more for the service.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he just likes to watch it grow, literally.

Maybe you can print off some info from a respected local agricultural state school that spells out the recommended application schedule and rates. Otherwise tell him you will mow his lawn every day.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Tell him he is destroying the environment.

Also if he gets his drinking water from a well on the property. You can inform him of the health risks.

Provide him proof, as mentioned post above

4. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

I was reading the concern of a fellow member on wells and fertilizer. To be honest, you'll never see fertilizer from a lawn application show up in your well. You'd be lucky to see it leach down 2-3 feet in the soil, maybe more if extremely sandy. so unless you have an artisian(sp) or shallow well w/ an exposed opening there is no risk. Secondly your arguement should be about the local streams, rivers and drainage ditches. This is where your problem stems from, run-off.

Secondly most major lawn companys only apply there fertilizer and 3/4 rate per acre. finally this customer could also get away w/ this if they both are using slow release products. Two quick release products w/ turn a law a lovely shade of orange then brown.

5. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Sorry... only one chef in the kitchen! Either my show or no go!!!

Good Luck, Clay

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL, I like that phrase, I'll have to remember that one next time.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I just got a friends lawn under control from OVER fertilizing on his part. He is a good friend and he has a 7500 sq ft lawn. He likes to do the fert himself and that is fine with me. He had a huge thatch problem along with summer patch. Aerated the heck out of it 2 years in a row and cut the N down to 1/3 of what he was adding.

Finally coming around. I was pulling plugs with 2" of hair on a 3" core. One more season and it will be back.