1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mow First or Trim First?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Apr 10, 2006.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Out of curiosity, what do you normally do? Do you line trim all the areas of a property before mowing or do you mow the property and then trim the uncut areas? I personally find myself doing both for different reasons. Just wondering what others do.:confused:
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well ya wanna mow first..then whaTEVER STICKS UP OR OUT AFTER YOU MOW..YA TRIM THAT OFF
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It really depends upon the property.
    For the first mow of the season, definitely trim first. Some yards seem to "kick up" a lot of trimmings which then leaves them laying ontop of the fresh cut grass, so on those situations, it's trim first.
  4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on what kind of mood Im in..:laugh:
  5. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

I am a one man crew usually i will trim first edge and then mow and blow, but sometimes i trim, mow, edge and blow so the edge looks the best gotta make sure the edge looks great!
  6. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Always trim and edge first and do any bed work. This is so the mower will pick up and cut any trimmings laying on the turf, and you should be trimming so that the mowing is completed faster. I mostly do commercial and I like to do the trim work first so I can sit for a while.
  7. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

Mow then trim.
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I trim first unless it is a new lawn... Then I mow first to learn what areas I can't reach with the mower.....

9. Tight Angles

Tight Angles LawnSite Senior Member

have one guy edge and trim while you mow
  10. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

exactly what i do