1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mow for free or not!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southern Lawns, Aug 20, 2002.

Free or Charge

Poll closed Aug 24, 2002.
  1. Free?

86 vote(s)
  2. Charge for services?

11 vote(s)
  1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you mow (or would mow) Mom and Dad's for free (weekly).
    How many of you would keep it all business and bill them?
  2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

i charge my in-laws ONLY because he is able to do it but just doesnt want to mow. if he was ill or for some other reason could not mow, i would do it for free.
  3. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

We used to mow my bosses Mom's house 1-2 times per month. He did not charge her for the cutting and the assistance she needed whenever we did it. "Scott, my door is falling off. Can you fix it?" <-- that kind of assistance.

I don't think it's right to charge your own parents. Did they charge you for stuff when you were a kid? Grandma and Grandpa should also fall under this clause as well. However, I wouldn't be shooting over there to do it if I were behind or something. Their home/mine would be the last to be cut. (note: the above holds true if they fall reasonably close to your previously used route -- unless of course there are other circumstances which I don't need to fathom at this moment)

Now, other relatives are a separate story. If uncle Bob wants his grass cut (assuming he's directly in my previously setup route), he would receive a discounted price, but there would certainly be $$$ exchanging hands.

4. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I would never charge the ones that gave me life, sacrificed plenty to feed me, put a roof over my head, shoes on my feet.......... get the picture. Now that you brought this to mind, I will visit tomorrow and make sure there is not one weed anywhere.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

My dad loved to take of his yard. It was his pride and joy. He grew all his vegetable and flowers from seed, and the yard was always top notch.
    When he passed away, I started cutting the lawn. (this was before we started our business.)

Once we had our business, it was just matter of fact that we could continue cutting my Mom's yard. She does so much for us in so many ways, I could never imagine charging her.

Sad to say, the yard though does not look as good as it did when my Dad was alive. He put countless hours into the yard, and we just don't have the time. But it always has a good clean cut and trim.
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my father in law fired me three years ago didnt think my wife spent enough on my mothers christmas gift lol havent spoken to them since
  7. Big Mow

Big Mow LawnSite Member

I would never charge the folks (and they can afford it)....owe them too much.

I also cut about 2 acres at a convent for some nuns. Don't charge them either. Guess it was my upbringing. They tell me that they all pray for me, so I guess I'm getting something for all the cutting. Maybe I'll get to heaven after all.
  8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

For my parents house.My Mom used to do all the yard work. Almost an acre. She had it looking great. She passed away a few years back and my poor old Step-Dad mows when he's here. (He spends a few months up north during the summer)
    He is not one for doing trim work or shrubs BTW,just the mowing.
    Which is fine. He stays busy and gets to work on his tan!
    I take over when he leaves.
    I try and get it spruced up before he gets back. Lots of shrubs and trees to trim back. That makes it easy on him to jump back into his routine on his return.
    As for me giving him a bill or asking for money. Not a chance.
  9. I mow maw n paws as well as both grands and uncles for free.

But, on the flip side the grands helped me get 54 houses almost in a row in less than a 1 mile.

And maw n paws has 34 other houses plus 14 acres of common ground to mow on the same street.

Uncle lives by me, and I mow my lawn for free. LOL
  10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Mom's lawn is cared for free.