1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mow for free

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cjcland, Apr 14, 2000.

1. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

i am going to offer my customers a special if they get me a full service 12 month contract for lawn care i will offer them a free month of mowing, is this too much or should i offer 1/2 the month or 1 free cut i know i would make nothing the first month of the new contract but the next month i would break even and every month after that would be profit-expenses what have you done in the past, i feel 1 month of free mowing would really motivate them, please let me know if i am going to far<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I wouldn't give away ant free services. Instead at Christmas, send them a tin of pretzels or a gift from Swiss Colony.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

UH UH, Did you get a free month with your phone, cable, power, internet service, cell phone, etc............If I gave away a month of business I would have to give away my business.....Send them a gift certificate when they refer you to somebody else AND you land them. Everybody likes to eat so make it a Shoneys or something, don't give away your sweat though!<p>Homer
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

CJC, please tell me that your're not that desperate. Wipe free out of your vocabulary. If your a one man operation your&quot;re not going to get rich enough to off free work
  5. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

thank you all i am glad i checked here first<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
  6. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

how about a free mowing?? i was thinknig of setting up a fertilizer/areation plan and give all new customers a free mowing if they signed up.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you want the type of customer who are just looking for a freebie. What if you get 200 calls wanting a free cut and most of them have 2 acres? Most good customers arent going to give up their regular lawn service for a free cut. &quot;free&quot; that is such a scarry word lol
  8. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have to agree with Charles, you don't want this type of customer. Next think you know they are try to get you to honor a competitors coupon or something. :)
  10. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I offer a few perks for my customers that help me out as well. My main point of interest is that for every referral they send, if they become a reg. customer, I will give the original customer a free mowing. May not sound like much but for avg. of $25 a pop, I could sit on the phone for 5 min. at a time & call all my friends- $25 savings for 5 min. of your time.<br>I also send cards at Christmas time & surveys asking what they liked/disliked about our service, & any other comments.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>