1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mow higher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, May 15, 2002.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

this for the new people in the buisiness.
    u might began to cut higher to prepare for the heat of summer. a little preparation in this area will allow the lawn to hold up better,and can save the grass if u happen to get drought.this advice comes from the south east so situations may differ further north.
  2. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

If only we could get the customers to understand!
  3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Very good advice!
  4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Funny cause we are mowing high as we can now its so hot and dry right now. WHEN WILL IT END!*reason to yell*
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Funny - I'm mowing high because the grass is growing so fast that if I cut any shorter I'd be there all day trying to clean up the clippings.
  6. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I jist want it to rain for I can CUT Peroid......:angry:
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I took a different approach in prepairing for the heat and drought in the summer, Primo. All my lawns are now thicker and healther looking, currently mowing at 3.5" with excellent results, may move non-irriagted lawns to 3.75 in a week if we have no rain.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

not familar wth that one. tell us about it ,
    i i can do a search ,but would rather hear
    your input.
  9. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

My customers will start yelling "It does not even look cut! Come back and cut the grass!"

Ma'am, this is the best hight right now for the health of the grass...

"But it is not even cut!"....

Blah, blah, blah...

10. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Using doubles I no longer have to double cut. I told a customer that I wanted to cut higher and he said "well let me see what it looks like". I did a few rows to show him and he said fine. After I finished he said " na I think I like it better shorter", so I had to go over again at 3.25". :angry: I tried to explain about the drout but he doesn't care. Maybe we should all petion CNN to anounce lawn height tips for water shortages.:D