mow in the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slikrick, Feb 25, 2004.

1. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

down here in Florida, as it is doing right now and yesterday, it rains quite a bit and sporadically. How do you stay in business and/or stay loyal to your customers? Can you still mow in the rain w/ no lightning? what kind of effect does that have on your equipment and the cut of the lawn? Just wondering what you all do. Any other advice or input you'd like to add would help.

hate the rain

:blob2:

2. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

ummmmmm......... i'm thinking here.........don't do it???

3. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I mow in light rain, but if it gets real heavy I'll quit & wait it out. last year though I had only a handful of rain days (maybe 5). Summers here are hot & dry.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know where you are in FL, but im in clearwater, and i did some this morning. You have to sometimes. Just have to go slow and be careful. It quit raining about 7 here after raining all night

5. stpamo

stpamo LawnSite Member

Hey Slik,
    It is okay to mow in the rain. Not necessarily good for the equipment. Floritam is easier to cut when dry and wet grass is twice as difficult for the blades to cut. Therefore the engine has to work harder. If the grass has puddles or standing water then it is time to stop. However I would not make a regular habit of rain-mowing. Prolonged periods can cause ruts in the property and also promote fungus. Good luck!:blob4:

6. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Part and Parcel of Florida is the rain. I don't like cutting in the rain but sometimes you have to. Heck I was cutting with a 21" one day last season and it started raining cats and dogs half way through. I took my boots off and poured water out of them like jugs. Now Lightning is a different story. Back in the truck and wait it out. I don't mess around with mother nature.

Steve

7. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

I TRY TO AVOID IT BUT SOMETIMES YOU GOT TO DO WHAT YOU GOT TO DO

8. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

Never sacrifice quality just to get a job finished. So if you're using heavy equipment and you're leaving deep tracks, don't do it. If you're leaving large clumps of grass don't do it. If the cut is not clean don't do it.

Of course, if your mower can handle it, you're right, you gotta do what you gotta do.

9. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

hey lawnman_scott, I'm in St. Pete actually. about how many days last year were you not able to work?

another thing, if anyone has any good sites to get plant and grass info, like pictures and descriptions, I'd appreciate it!

10. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

CORRECT! WHEN THIS IS YOUR LIVELYHOOD YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR PRODUCT IS WORTH PUTTING YOUR NAME BESIDE IN THE END. IVE BEEN IN THE BUSINESS 4 YEARS THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR INDEPENDANTLY. I CAN TELL YOU THE TIMES IVE BEEN STOPPED BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE WATCHED AND HAVE SEENTHE QUAILTY OF MY WORK AND WANT ME TO PROVIDE A SERVICE ALSO.