Mow-Joe syndrome

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Nov 8, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Has your area come down with the Mow-Joe syndrome? Mow-Joe’s going around without a cue what their cost’s are? Causing Lawn maintenance in your area to reside on poverty row? They made 25 dollars an hour, and shout to the world---praise da lawd, I can’t make that much working on a job. Don’t know a balance sheet from an unbalanced tire.
    One example, I was filling up at the station, a guy pulled in with sod on a trailer, I asked him how much sod was he going to lay, 1000 sq feet and I’m going make 175 clear he flops out his month. I questioned him about his cost’s, sod ,fuel, if he rented a sod cutter, if he had old turf to get rid of etc; this guy had no clue as to what his costs were. A classic example of the Mow-Joe.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Its more than just the mow & goes, Part timers running around pretending to be professionals. They talk the talk and all the work that they can do and then its substandard. The general public is becoming less trust full of a true full time professional landscaping company than they are of used car salesman. The lack of trust and shoddy work practices have brought the prices down while the cost to do professional work with the correct equipment has sky rocketed. And yet theres still people that jump in with out knowing cost or ability, lucky for me that there equipment only has low hrs on it.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

as to what things should cost, then the prices just get driven down...... sucks.....:realmad:
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup Mow-Joe doe's..big time lol
  5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

gezz a used carsalesman that hurts i really hate to agree but that does seem to the sentiment sometimes
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

not much you can do about, except learn to adapt
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea we have alot of part timers around here, you can spot them from a mile away, driving a late model 1/2 ton all "dressed up" pulling a 5X10 trailer w/ a shiny new 48" rider.

Most of these guys are plumbers, firemen, and other types of laborers that already make good money. I think they feel that if we can do them why can't they. It's like they want a piece of the pie too, but don't realize they are screwing "US" over.
  8. lrunner

lrunner LawnSite Member

All you full time landscapers that claim you know everything, just because you are out 5 days a week, doesn't mean you are always right!

I am a part time landscaper. I have 30 accounts that i do on the weekends. Three are auto parts stores in Houston, 2 are shopping centers in Deerpark and the rest are residential accounts.

I do an excellent job and I quote it just as well as you would. I bet most of you started out like most of us part timers, just part time on the weekends. Now you've forgotten where you came from and you call yourselves "Professionals"! I've seen some of your "Professional" work, and it sucks, big time!
  9. lrunner

lrunner LawnSite Member

Boy! You are just full of yourself!
  10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

we are not all at fault for this type of behavior, many of you started out this way too. I listen very carefully to what you guys have to say, i price high and do good work and have upgraded to all comercial equipment so the cut is of good quality also.

Im insured, pay taxes, and collect sales tax, have lettered vehicle and even have a uniform...bill monthly with professional invoices and try and be as professional as you guys are, i know i have a way to go , but im getting there

I am working toward going full time, and dont need a bunch of moe joes, lowering the prices in my area either....

just remember, some of us are on your side and can see the bigger picture, thanks to YOUR experience.....