mow on spot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A+ Lawncare, May 2, 2005.

1. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

okay guys, i have a quick question..... during the summer i'm usually booked for 25-30hrs during the week doing maintance.... but what i'm wondering is say if i wanna pick up another 5hrs of mowing, is mowing on the spot an okay ordeal or does it make an unproffesional image on my CO.

what i mean by mowing on the spot is say there is a culdsac (sry for spelling). and i park my rig at the end of it... and i walk from house to house knocking on the doors with tall grass w/my mower, and give them a lil discount just to bump up my customers.... i figure a guy w/an mower already there @ my door step is kinda hard to turn down than just the other average LCO ppl knockin on the doors to mow next week or in a few days....

I figure i'de do a $30 lawn for $25 cash and be there for about 15mins, maybe i could knock out say 3 or 4 of these type of deals in an hr payup payup ..... btw, these would be 1 time deals except for as needed situation during the season.... but i would not mow the lawns for an extended period of time for less $$....

2. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have done that before and it works good normaly if u do a good job the chance are that they will hire u

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I never have really thought about doing any business that way. I guess if you are only working 30 hours per week, you might as well at least try to fill the other 10 hours doing something. The worst thing they can do is tell you no, and at least you can meet new potential clients and get your name out there and distribute business cards and such. At the very worst, you are at least spending that time advertising and letting people know you exist.

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

NO!

Sorry but that puts me in mind of the 12 year old walking with his push mower from house. Leave a flyer, introduce yourself as doing business in the area. Dut do not go up and say your lawn needs cut can I cuts if fors you mister.

Remember you are suppose to be a professional. Down here the only people who come to our doors trying to do work are crooks. Just my opinion.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Who in the heck said he was going to walk up and say, "Your lawn needs cut, can I cuts it for you mister?" I doubt anyone with any business sense would be that ********. Give the guy some credit for thinking up new ways to fill his time. It must suck knowing that everyone going up to your door in Florida is a crook. That must really stink. Why would someone want to live where you know crooks are the only ones making house calls? The point is, that there is a bad way of going about this, which is the way you prescribed nelbuts, and there is probably a professional way to go about this. I am giving him credit for using his noggin.

6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I had one today. I told them that I was pretty booked, but if they wanted to sign up for regular service, I could squeeze them into my Monday route (So far, I'm actually only half-booked on Mondays). If you just want it done today, I can do it, but the one-time cut price is about 50% more than the weekly rate. They opted for a one-time cut for $45. I told them that if they signed up before next week, I'd credit them the difference. We'll see.

7. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

I think he means to do the lawn while he is there, not waiting for flyer responses.

I think I will try that, pack up my mowers and head for the jungles! I like to smack my John Deere around, so that will be my little forest biotch!

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know...I'm sort of mixed on this. On one hand, I have to admire someone who has the motivation to hustle some work. If you have the equipment and time, work it. On the other hand, I'm not sure about hitting the whole street. I have stopped and gotten work like that before. One job, I was driving by, and there was this older gentleman out in his yard with a pushmower, and I could tell he was having a rather difficult time, as this grass was about 5 inches high. If it's in an area I work, yes, I don't have anything against stopping (even though I don't like I should).

9. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

And what is it with these old guys, tall grass, and craftsman? I see the combo everywhere I go!

10. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

old guys are retired they have all day to cut that ft tall 1/2 acre lawn.... nothing better to do then sit back on the porch sipping ice tea watching the cars go by....